Apps: Most users have the Call Manager client, we're moving them to the Advanced Call Manager client -- it helps them to know the status of the telephone they're about to transfer a call to; Receptionists have the Operator Call Manager -- allows them to see the real-time status of up to 250 telephones on their PC (and clever ways to manipulate the window -- their PC can still multi-task just fine). Most users quickly grasp the concepts of the apps -- and really like the Outlook contact integration. Folks who aren't comfortable with a PC will have a steeper/longer learning curve.

ACD: I am using Hunt Groups for department-level call distribution, which are site-specific; we'll begin using Workgroups (ShoreTel's default, simple ACD system) when we have multiple receptionists answering calls across the WAN. I see probable uses for more Workgroups, need to teach my management how to think outside the traditional PBX box. ShoreTel does have a large Call Center app, we don't need it with how we presently operate, won't be buying it in the foreseeable future.

Cisco: we could almost get the Cisco hardware pricing down to ShoreTel levels...but the annual support fees were a real killer. ShoreTel wins. (After looking at router IOS settings of a small Cisco install, I'm happy about this).

Softphone: Very few users will have the softphone app. I use it and like it myself (gotta love that Plantronics CS50-USB). It is an extra cost, and most of our folks aren't comfortable without a real handset to hold on to.

Feel free to email me. I have lots of road trips/long hours coming up, so bear with my slow responses. I'm installing in California's central valley next week, if anyone wants to see it go in. Seattle in January. Other west-coast areas before and after.