Well I have been in the forum for two whole days now so it’s time to throw some potatoes in the soup.

From everything I have read on this post, you are all right.

I work on/with the larger commercial systems that Avaya makes. I started here working on a lightening hit AT&T Dimension 2000. I had about 2500 stations then. I have seen a lot of changes through the years like you guys have.

About a year ago I went to the new servers for processors (S 8710’s). I sounded so much like most of you about them. My old G3R only had about a 99.999 runtime and mine was actually better than that. So why the hell would I want anything IP related little lone depend on them to process calls in my PBX? It is the way the industry is moving. Is it better? That’s a tuff one. At this point I would have to say the servers are working well and Avaya “Claims” the same 99.999 runtime. I am not sure about that one, but it’s probably not far off.

For VoIP, I think it is still not near where it should be to depend on it. In my environment (a hospital) it is not something that I would place a patient’s life on it. And here it could very well happen. From all that I have taken in about it, the only true saving is the trunking. By the time you rebuild your infrastructure up to meet the VoIP requirements, you have lost money that it will never save you. And I also don’t like have the “All your eggs in one basket” scenario either. Again here I can’t or someone could die. Although a lot of hospitals have gone with all IP solutions. Maybe the old AT&T phone guys that taught me years ago have me thinking the same way most of you do, I don’t know.

To me VoIP is like ISDN was. In the beginning ISDN meant I Still Don’t Know. Now it’s everywhere, a tried and proven technology. But VoIP is coming, but still a babe IMO. This is where us old guys are going to have to cable and hook up everything for these kids so their stuff will actually work.

Don’t try this at home kids, I am a professional..

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953