Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#645804 12/23/23 07:50 AM
nick c Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello

We have a DCS816 unit in our office which I suspect has probably developed a fault.

I realise of course this is a very old unit and am now looking into replacing the system with current technology. However due to the lead time on that I am investigating a workaround that at least would allow us to recieve incoming calls on what is our main office number.

The problem we are experiencing is a very loud static like noise on calls in and out. The phone rings and we can place calls but the person a the other end is either completely inaudible, or extremely faint to the point of being inaudible. The static noise is constant.

The outside line has been checked and is OK. The internal wiring has not been checked but there is constant green light on the ISDN box which seems to indicate that is fine. As such, and given it's age I am guessing component failure in the DCS816 unit.

Assuming this to be irredeemable, repair being out of the question and so on, is there anyway the box can be bypassed so that we can at least recieve calls somehow? This would the cover us until a new system is in place.

Many thanks

Nick

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

pvj Offline
Moderator-Executone-Isoetec, Samsung
Is there an ISDN or regular trunk card in the 816?

nick c Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks pvj

The office is close currently so can't check.

To pre-empt that though how would I check this once I am able to?

pvj Offline
I would open the cabinet and see what trunk card is in the system.If the ISDN line is broken out to analog lines then you can try to troubleshoot with a regular phone. Is this problem on 1 line or multiple lines?

nick c Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks pvj

I've managed to get a call divert placed on the line now which alleviated the problem somewhat. Last week, the line supplier wasn't sure if this was possible or not but on trying again today it seemed to go through without a problem.

I will still check out the things you mention above though when I am next in the office and let you know what I discover.

Best regards

Nick

nick c Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi pvj

I have attached two images. One of the inside of the cabinet and one of the removable card which I am assuming is the card you are talking about.

The cable from the ISDN box is a ethernet cable which just plugs into the board. I have unplugged just for identification purposes.

Attached Images
IMG_8056.JPG IMG_8058.JPG
pvj Offline
Never used ISDN cards here in North America. The ethernet cable is that in the picture on the left of the whole cabinet?That is the cable that breaks out the 4 analog extensions in the system.

nick c Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes it's the thinner white cable. The thick cable to the left of that runs to another box about the same the size of the ISDN box.

Anyway given ISDN is being phased out over here in a couple of years time it's maybe time to call it day on this. I am already trialling a VOIP phone so probably no going back from here.

Thanks for your time.

Nick

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,400 Shoretel
189,145 CTX100 install
187,423 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024