For the record I wasn't trying to say the IT industry invented 4pr cable, merely that it would make no sense for the standards bodies to bother with a 2pr standard when the new Ethernet standards would require 4pr.

And I was merely pointing out that at the time the "4 pair standard" was adopted there was no reason to believe ethernet would evolve to more than 2 pair. The "standard guys" just glommed onto 4 pair because there was a 568B WE standard already in use at the time.

Matter of fact the recent use of the other two pair probably came about because somebody said "Hey, lookie here. There's another two pair that isn't being used. Lets use them for something". :idea:

Otherwise you can bet your bippy cable manufacturers would figure out a way to run 10 Gig ethernet on 2 pair just to make UTP a viable alternative to fiber.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.