Come on now. I respect everyone here and I think this has been a really good discussion. And with that in mind I have to say that to say never run two devices on one cat5 e is like saying that a telco should never put two pris on the same copper pair cable. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, when another run isn't possible.

Also, its okay to run up to 44 volts DC of POE over one or two pairs of a cat 5e with no problem but a second ethernet connection or a 24 volt or 48 volt analog connection instead of POE is a problem? POE is designed to use in place of USB because it is cheaper than using USB repeaters. I am not convinced that a tdm phone or second ethernet (up to 100mbps) can be more detrimental to the cat5 run than 44 volts dc.

I also know that some tech companies such as Simplex Grinnell (a Tyco company) are requiring their techs to install two voice and two data jacks to each workstation using 2 cat5e cables not four. They seperate the pairs at the patch panel end and at the workstation end. This has become standard practice in their offices and so far it seems to work fine.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.