Originally posted by ringtone:
Would I need to have a static ip address or could I use one of the services that can keep track of my dynamic ip address?
The Dynamic DNS sevices require software to run on a PC to work. The Toshiba can't run it. If you had it behind a NAT with software on another PC would work, Except the Toshiba BIPU (and new LIPU) does not work behind a NAT router.

I have installed a Netgear router that ran the client for dynamic DNS services, and created a VPN tunnel. If you had 2 of them, they would create a VPN tunnel, which would solve the problem of being behind a router. You would be limited to the nummber of VPN tunnels you could create.

Other then that, you are pretty much stuck with a static public IP in front of a firewll.

The Software IP works good, but as was said, requires a license on the Toshiba CTX to connect. The BIPU has been discontinued, but I'm sure you can still get it for some time. The replacement, LIPU, would also require an IP endpoint licence for each IP phone. Not sure how much each cost, but a package of 16 retailed for over $1k.