web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Why would someone buy an IP Office knowing they have to buy licenses, when they can buy open source without license restrictions? Why the change from the old days when you just had to add hardware to expand?

It really isn't any different now and you know I would be the first to agree with you if you were correct. You add hardware same as before. Sometimes you already have the hardware and need a license to activate features. Take VM ports. Didn't you have to buy a license to expand the VM capacity even back with the Mail VS? How about the Partner Voice Messaging PC card- for up to 4 mailboxes you buy the small. Need more, buy the large. Need ASA buy an ASA card. What's the difference if capabilities are already built in and you have to buy a license to activate them vs buying a physical card or firmware?

And you really can't compare Asterisk to the IPO. Pretty much like comparing Yugo to Ford.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
My biggest problem is that it doesn't support more Partner sets, as you know your not going to get a fuzzy feeling from a customer when you tell him in order to upgrade from your current ACS you will only be able to use 18 of your 34 sets, it would be much easier to sell if it were truly backward compatible.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by hbiss:
Why would someone buy an IP Office knowing they have to buy licenses, when they can buy open source without license restrictions? Why the change from the old days when you just had to add hardware to expand?

It really isn't any different now and you know I would be the first to agree with you if you were correct. You add hardware same as before. Sometimes you already have the hardware and need a license to activate features. Take VM ports. Didn't you have to buy a license to expand the VM capacity even back with the Mail VS? How about the Partner Voice Messaging PC card- for up to 4 mailboxes you buy the small. Need more, buy the large. Need ASA buy an ASA card. What's the difference if capabilities are already built in and you have to buy a license to activate them vs buying a physical card or firmware?

And you really can't compare Asterisk to the IPO. Pretty much like comparing Yugo to Ford.

-Hal
With the IP Office you have to buy the hardware and licenses to expand. Now I would prefer an IP Office because of its ability to handle TDM sets. But outside of that, tell me what advantage does a customer gain by going IP Office verses Asterisk? Its difficult to convince a customer to spend twice as much for basically the same capabilities.

Another thing that is being slightly overlooked is that licensing is tied to each individual customoer. There won't be any reselling of used equipment outside of the phones.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by dtmf:
My biggest problem is that it doesn't support more Partner sets, as you know your not going to get a fuzzy feeling from a customer when you tell him in order to upgrade from your current ACS you will only be able to use 18 of your 34 sets, it would be much easier to sell if it were truly backward compatible.
I agree Russ. We too have a lot of partner systems out there that are maxed out and these guys want to use their old stuff. I will say, that I do like the looks of the new 1400 series sets that they came out with.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Another thing that is being slightly overlooked is that licensing is tied to each individual customoer.

It is??

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Oh, really. Funny, I've heard the same about Definity. And yet, I've been involved in the installation of complete used Definity systems. No licensing problems have popped up on them. I will say that they were usually being moved from a closing motel to another property, generally not owned by the same individual/group. I assume the licensing on the secondary market only affects whether or not you can get help from Avaya, and how much it would cost without a 'license'.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Z-Man, as much as I enjoy your point of view on other threads, I feel you are completely off base here. You are trying to compare a FREE pbx to an IP Office. That is like arguing between CentOS (free Linux OS) and Windows.

NOW, back on topic. Ron, I do appreciate the opportunity you have given this board by opening this thread.

Do you have some input on the feasibility of some of the features that people have requested here?

Quick recap of features:
Adding a vpn phone or 2 to Partner Edition
Centrex transfer
Huntgroup Login/out
Browser management
Password protect AA Menus
Increase ETR capacity above 18
Partner sets on IPO
Auto System Answer (ASA)

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Zane, lets keep this thread on topic and not turn it into a debate or a discussion about comparison.
You have made you point very clear, but the OP was simply asking for input and you have made your point very clear.

Thanks,

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Ron, Great thread.
If I recall right abouit 50% of all customers are 10 phones and under. In my rural market it is 50% of the customers are 6 phones and under. A few years ago you introduced a Partner SOE that sold here like hotcakes. We could be in the same ball park as the other brands for the 4 phone dentist office. We made bank. And increased market share.
The smaller configs just are not price competitive as far as I can see.
I would like a smaller, cheaper, maybe limited license, Partner Version for the simple 4 to 7 phone market place. Any chance of helping us out here?

Think of your travel stop (3 lines 4 phones and overhead paging). They have a couple thousand to spend. (I was just at one of our customers this weekend). The Version is about 50% than the SOE- maybe double the price.
I would caution this- dont make the Version too complicated. The IPOffice is for customers that want complicated. The Version I thought was for inexpensive simple installations. From a sales point, give us something easy to use and demo, cheap to install, and quick to sell.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,710 Shoretel
189,753 CTX100 install
187,917 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024