Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#605832 11/28/16 02:22 PM
MnDave Offline OP
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
OP Offline
I just went through some old files and I'm getting a little nostalgic. If we compiled a list of things/stuff that were part of the "Good Old Days" what would it include? I will start with something simple.

I miss Telecom Gear. It was such a simple source of pricing for used phone parts that it helped me price many add orders and repairs. It goes without saying that it included Mike Sandman's column. RIP Mike.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I agree with Telcom Gear and the Mart .the internet just doesn't
give the same choices Teleconnect was a great publication too.

how about Computer shopper ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
+1 for Teleconnect magazine.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I miss the work. Not the mindless work - the deep , thoughtful work. Wiring up steppers and crossbar, programming electronic systems in binary and hex, building out huge 1A2 plants with matrix ringing and multiple intercoms and then turning it on and having it all (mostly) work perfectly.

I miss the camaraderie among the guys I worked with.

I miss absent friends.

On a happier note, speaking of Teleconnect, I'm still (lightly) in touch with Harry Newton who was the editor of Teleconnect and all its' ancillary magazines. He sold out to a major conglomerate at the height of the market, made a boatload of money and gave it to a money manager to invest. The manager managed to turn a large fortune into a small one and Harry took it back and has done fairly well. He publishes a blog titled "in search of the perfect investment". It's thoughtful and well written and if you mess with the market it's well worth your while to read.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I miss the Sandman ads for the shop vac, where a little bubble pointed to the inlet and said "do no insert Penis".

I miss consistently clear-sounding phone calls.

Am I right in remembering some sweet spot in history when LD calls had all moved from analog carrier to fiber, TDMA business phone systems were the thing, and the LEC's still took care of the OSP?

I miss selling to prospective customers and having them say that's what I need. I miss them signing on the dotted line without having to consult with some IT jackass. I miss being able to make money in this business!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I miss all of the above but mostly miss the days when a client would call for advice and would take it, whether to do or not to do something. Our word used to be cherished and taken as gospel, but not anymore...

On the flip side, I get a real kick when they come back to bail them out after NOT following my advice... dbanana

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
MnDave Offline OP
OP Offline
I knew Harry Newton's name would come up here. I always got a kick out of how his Teleconnect product reviews always gave better reports when manufacturers bought ad space! I also enjoyed how he messed with voice recognition software by having someone who didn't speak English as their first language do the testing!

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

I miss the pride in craftsmanship that I was taught to have. I try and pass that on but, with few exceptions, it is looked upon as, "no one does that anymore, it takes too long".

Craftsmanship takes a little extra time initially but saves so much labor after the implementation. Whether it is programming, wiring, or design.

Taking the time to do the work as neatly and with a minimum of complication is always good business sense.

While I think VoIP has brought some wonderful changes to the industry, it has also brought the acceptance of less than ideal work standards which, sadly, seems to be the popular culture of the IT industry right now.

Michael Meyer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,903 Shoretel
189,998 CTX100 install
188,225 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 79 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024