web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
This story (not mine) was posted on a home-improvement forum.

"I'm in the process of rehabbing some long-abandoned apartments. Various additions and subtractions got made along the way. Many of the additions were electric outlets. One of the most recent ones used 12/3WG romex and a grounded outlet. It's common to find 3-hole outlets installed with the ground terminal not connected to anything, but this electrician was better than that. He dutifully hooked up the ground wire in the romex to the ground terminal on the outlet. At the other end, he used wire nuts to attach to the original knob-and-tube wiring (in the open, not in a box), which had been cut off to make room for a new door. Then he drove a nail into the header and wrapped the ground wire securely around it. I've run into lots of ground wires wrapped with various degrees of tightness around water and gas pipes, conduit, or any other metallic-looking thing in the neighborhood, but this was the first time I've come across an outlet safely grounded to a 2x4."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I wonder what the moisture content of the 2x4 was? Maybe he's on to something here.

excited

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Luckily he didn't ground to a natural gas pipe. Zatomic

I Love FEATURE 00
My friend's uncle lives in a lake community in Northern NJ near the NY state border. About 25 years ago he upgraded and updated the electrical wiring in his house including the installation of a new 200 amp service panel. The service was grounded using 8 an foot copper clad ground rod.

When the electrical inspector came for the final he told uncle that he would have to fail his inspection because the local code required that the system be grounded to the cold water pipe where it entered the home. This pipe was less than 3 feet below the service panel, but there was one problem. The pipe was 1" polyethylene plastic (the homes in the neighborhood had wells as city water was not available.) Uncle was an engineer so he had some clue about electrical grounding.

When he questioned the inspector's request the inspector told him "the pipe will conduct electricity when it sweats." They argued for about 15 minutes, and he told uncle that unless he quickly moved the ground as requested he would have to fail him and come back to re-inspect at another time. Uncle did as he was told and the inspector gave him his green sticker. The minute after uncle saw the inspector's tail lights disappear down the road he moved the ground wire back to the ground rod.

Last edited by godfather; 12/05/14 02:50 PM.
Remember, most inspectors are former sparkies and the carry all the bad habits and misinformation they were taught. Most inspectors know the Code but sometimes you get a clinker. In this case it didn't cost anything to comply with his stupidity but think of other instances where it could cost a contractor $$$$. This is why it is so important for you to know the NEC chapter and verse at least as it applies to the work you are doing. Ask him to quote the Article that says a non-metalic water line has to be bonded. Then get the book out and educate him.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
In fact, the NEC specifically states that if a water pipe is used, it MUST be metallic. NEC 250.54D to 254.58.

Here in Western PA, there are many, many well water supplies. Usually, the AHJ will require that a grounding cable be run to the metal well casing, if it exists, and if it meets all the requirements of NEC 254. Practically, inspectors will require two 8' ground rods outside, and, if there is any metal water pipes inside, a bonding jumper to the metal pipes, regardless of the actual water supply pipe being non metallic.

The inspector is obviously trying to make a point or assert his/her authority. To challenge the inspector would prove useless, at this point. His/her "reasoning" is so flawed, there is no adequate word to describe it. I guess "dumb" works.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by Rcaman
The inspector is obviously trying to make a point or assert his/her authority. To challenge the inspector would prove useless, at this point. His/her "reasoning" is so flawed, there is no adequate word to describe it. I guess "dumb" works.
Rcaman

Yes...you're exactly right. I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but in the NY/NJ region we get a lot of that. Arrogant inspectors trying to show their authority is generally the norm, but sometimes you'll get a crooked one looking to get his palms greased.

The last time I had to deal with one was about 2 years ago. My brother sold his house, and the buyer requested that he have an electrical inspection done because he had upgraded a lot of the wiring in the house on his own. The work was to code and very meticulous, but we knew that the inspector would have to find something wrong. What I didn't expect is that the inspector's only gripe was with the ground connection on the Verizon installed FiOS ONT.

The FiOS ONT ground wire was connected in the typical fashion to the service panel ground wire using a bronze clamp. It was installed by Verizon. The inspector requested that the FiOS ground be moved...he wanted it connected to a ground bar mounted outside of the panel which in turn would be connected to the ground buss bar inside the service panel. According to him this was a code requirement (??, Okay...we didn't argue with him.) We did politely remind him that this was Verizon's equipment and that we were not supposed to be touching it. He essentially said that he was aware of that, but this is what had to be done if he was going to give his approval. We did it, and he signed off as promised.

In NY there is no state-wide licensing nor are there many inspectors on municipal payrolls (with the exception of NYC and some other cities). The inspectors work for private companies of which there are usually several to choose from. (I even get a Christmas card from one.) So if you have a problem with one inspector you can always use another company next time. If you still have problems you need to look at your work...

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,845 Shoretel
189,963 CTX100 install
188,072 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 8
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (dcl), 129 guests, and 93 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024