Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#559583 10/09/13 05:01 PM
MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
So, we had a lightning strike somewhere nearby or the telco was hit or something. All I know is I did not have a surge protector on any of my three T1's and I ended up with burned out ports on some network switches and computers.

Why am I posting here? It seems it hit our CTX670 as well. We had a handful of DKT3020's that I thought were fried but only needed to be power cycled. Nothing else seems to be damaged as far as the Toshiba gear is concerned. However, since then our Call Accounting reports are blank. I rebooted the computer the SMDR is connected to (via serial), had to verify and correct baud settings on the COM port to match what the Call Accounting software is looking for and all *looks* to be well. Except our reports are all blank. I can see the data scrolling in on Ultimate Call Accounting so it looks like it's communicating as it should be. All other software settings have been untouched.

Any ideas? I am going to Restart the 670 during off-hours tonight or tomorrow, but am not confident that will make a difference. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

Mark
Sr. Systems Administrator
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

MKEbrew #559588 10/09/13 06:13 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Use Hyperterminal to look at the SMDR output from the BSIS in real time. If you see the SMDR data being outputted, then the problem is not with the CTX.

MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Not getting anything that way. So the data I see on the call accounting screen is not coming from the SMDR. I wonder if this whole card is fried or if it's ports, of if I can just pull it out and slide it back in.

I had made the assumption that the data I was seeing in call accounting was from the SMDR and was just corrupted or something, but I wasn't 100% sure that was the case.

Thanks for the help!

Mark
MKEbrew #559613 10/10/13 10:23 AM
MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, can someone tell me what the baud rate is supposed to be coming from the SMDR?

Mark
MKEbrew #559614 10/10/13 11:00 AM
MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not getting anything in hyperterm, it auto detects the speed as 2400 bauds, but the driver for the USB to serial adapter is set at 9600. Regardless of how I pair the baud rates, I get nothing in hyperterminal. However, when I unplugged the USB from the computer call accounting stopped. (no, hypeterm and call accounting are not running at the same time).

I am obviously missing something...

Mark
MKEbrew #559621 10/10/13 01:19 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
The BSIS is attached to the CTX processor so I would power off the cabinet before I re-seat the processor. The baud rates can be found using eManager under I/O devices.

MKEbrew #559685 10/11/13 09:58 AM
Serial ports involve data lines and handshaking. When the USB is disconnected, then handshaking signals say to stop sending data. But if the data driver or receiver is damaged, then that data cannot be seen by hyperterminal. Computer transmitting data sees handshaking - then assumes a good data signal connection exist. And does not know the data driver/receiver is actually burned out.

All T1 lines have surge protection as required by code and installed for free. Damage typically occurs because lightning striking far down the street connects directly into communication equipment. Then finds the best connection to earth via T1 protectors.

If you did not properly earth 'whole house' protection on AC lines, then future damage is also likely. The most common source of a lightning surge is AC electric. An excellent and therefore destructive connection to earth is T1 protectors if you all but invite surges to enter the building by any other incoming wires.

westom #559777 10/14/13 04:07 PM
MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Westom,

Thanks for your reply. There is no evidence that the surge came through AC. No power outage, no fried power supplies, no tripped surge protectors. The only equipment that had any signs of issue was network and phone equipment. Cisco routers needed to be rebooted, Toshiba phones needed to be rebooted (a random selection of them) all my network switches lost a handful or more ports, half of our workstations lost connectivity on their network cards. The copper on these boards is very thin..

I now have T1 surge protectors for both T1's and our PRI. Surge protectors are between SmartJacks and CPE. Not sure that there is a way to determine the exact source or path.

You do make a good point regarding the serial port. I'm just not sure if it's the card in the PBX that is damaged or if it is USB adapter or what. You give me good reason to investigate though, so I will start there.

Thanks!

Mark
MKEbrew #559828 10/15/13 10:28 AM
MKEbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Found the baud rate, connected to another computer without the need for a USB to serial adapter and still don't get anything in Hyperterm. Guess it's the card? Music on hold is pumped through that same card and it is still working. Don't know of any other issues with the 670. Power cycled both cabinets this morning.

Haven't tried changing the wire or the rj11 to serial adapter yet, but I do believe I have an extra adapter somewhere. Just didn't feel like that could be the problem in this case. I'm thinking it has to be the card.

Any other suggestions? Do you all agree (without seeing it for yourself)?

Mark
MKEbrew #559833 10/15/13 12:09 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Try making a backup of the database and then initialize the processor. In eManager, look at the processor under Maintenance and it will tell you whether or not it sees the BSIS. If you still can't get it to work, try swapping the BSIS out with another one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,856
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,663 Shoretel
189,578 CTX100 install
187,847 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Andyreed), 126 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024