web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Because of the lack of seasoned and trained LEC techs, I had to replace my aging ComTech T1 analyzer with a T-berd. There may be better and more elegant testing equipment for PRI and T-1, but, show up to a vendor meet with a T-berd and know how to use it, the finger pointing stops immediately. I have totally stopped the nuisance calls that were generated because the LEC techs "tested" the span and everything is working....problem must be your PBX. Now I go out once, have my T-berd on the span and call the LEC. No more BS.

Being someone who earns his paycheck on the other side of the isle, I never understood the point of BS-ing the customer - or their vendor - in the first place. I always show up early, pull up PM data just to know what I'm up against (presuming a HDSL-based T-1 which is 90% of my workload nowadays) and many a times just send the vendor tech back, telling them that I'll give them a call when the problem *on our side* is resolved.

In all fairness, while I'm well-aware that there are many people who hold the same title as I do and are purposely oblivious to job requirements, not everyone on "the other side" that I've met over the past 14 years was up to par either. Just recently, I've hosted the same "tag and locate" three times, showing the same tech the same two circuits in the same smart jack housing, orange tag on a black background, Stevie Wonder would've figured it out after the second time around. Not to mention countless occasions where there was no equipment plugged in whatsoever ("can't loop the CSU, good to NIU, prove through demarc" - really?) or it was plugged in a wrong spot etc...but I've repaired one too many other people's supposed NTF's to hold my fellow technicians in too much of a high regard...

Regarding the Sidekick vs the Triplett vs the Dynatel, it's all about what testing you require and which test set you become accustomed to using. I really like the Dynatel when the LEC insists their crummy, noisy, PF influenced, over load coiled POTS lines are at spec. One push of a button and you know everything you need to argue, intelligently, with the LEC. The Triplett will do the same' but you will make several tests and use different test lead combinations. The Sidekick is a "telephone man's best friend" when push comes to shove and it's just you and a long, miserable wet cable.

It also depends on the type of work one does. I've spent most of my life in a walking district, so carrying around a set of basic tools along with a Sidekick and a T-Berd and/or Conklin gets tiring pretty fast. You learn to travel light, or you go elsewhere. That's I&M, of course, construction and FiOS crews have trucks. On occasions where I was loaned to boroughs where a van is a necessity, I had pretty damn near everything in it...whether I really needed it or not.

And that's where we get to the part about losing tools or finding them missing in other way...

Some three years ago I was almost killed in a vehicular on-the-job accident while on a loan to another district. The only piece of equipment that went missing from the utterly destroyed van was my T-Berd...from the time that the van was hauled away (12pm or so) until my partner got to the parking lot at about 4pm to recover some of his personal stuff from it...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ajkula66,

In my 45 years in the telecommunications industry, I have worked "both sides." When I worked for Bell Telephone, we were well trained and were required to adhere to "standards." There was no FCC Part 68 it was The Bellcore Specs. Everything was done according to established standards.

Then, in 1968 when the Carterfone decision was handed down and the Bell-AT&T breakup occurred, there was a free for all mentality in the "new" interconnect business. That's when I started to notice the lack of proper training and the emphasis on quantity and no so much quality.

Today, it is rare to find a really qualified LEC tech. There are a few and I really respect them and work with them very well. The techs we see, for the most part, are given too many jobs, because there are so few of them, and are, many times, not equipped with proper test equipment and are expected to know everything about OSP, inside equipment and all the nuances of individual customers. This is an impossible task. Back in the day, a LEC tech lived in the community, knew every wire closet, piece of equipment and pole from the CO to the customer. Today, the LEC tech can be from anywhere and, many times, they need directions to find the customer.

On this side, more often than not, it's worse. There are so very few "trained" techs. Many of the people working in the telecommunications field today have little or no training. Some come from tech schools and barely can remember color code. Standards? What are standards? The IT people who think they know everything are the biggest problem in the industry. They only know enough to be dangerous. When the telecommunications industry went from a service industry to big business, everyone lost...the customer, the techs and the LECs.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
I'm opening this topic and moving the last few posts in the Favorite Tools topic located in the General forum. This will become a stand-alone discussion.

I Love FEATURE 00
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Today, it is rare to find a really qualified LEC tech. There are a few and I really respect them and work with them very well. The techs we see, for the most part, are given too many jobs, because there are so few of them, and are, many times, not equipped with proper test equipment and are expected to know everything about OSP, inside equipment and all the nuances of individual customers. This is an impossible task. Back in the day, a LEC tech lived in the community, knew every wire closet, piece of equipment and pole from the CO to the customer. Today, the LEC tech can be from anywhere and, many times, they need directions to find the customer.

Quoted for truth. So far I've only met one LEC technician who held his work to any standard. The dozen or so others could care less. Slap a fix (i.e. bandaid) on it and move onto the next one.

The IT people who think they know everything are the biggest problem in the industry. They only know enough to be dangerous. When the telecommunications industry went from a service industry to big business, everyone lost...the customer, the techs and the LECs.

I agree 1000% with that and not just our industry either. People who had secure jobs were thrown under the bus by greedy manufacturers. The entire telecom industry was repurposed for IT people because they have a strong presence in nearly every business. One reason for that is because of the respect they get because there are formal college degrees and certifications that impress management types.

We, after all, are simple tradesmen who charge a ridiculous amount of money to do things that their college educated IT person should be able to do.

Now I'm happy to see that the IT people are being thrown under the bus by Hosted. And that's the only good thing I can say about Hosted.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally Posted by ajkula66
Being someone who earns his paycheck on the other side of the isle, I never understood the point of BS-ing the customer - or their vendor - in the first place. I always show up early, pull up PM data just to know what I'm up against (presuming a HDSL-based T-1 which is 90% of my workload nowadays) and many a times just send the vendor tech back, telling them that I'll give them a call when the problem *on our side* is resolved.

In all fairness, while I'm well-aware that there are many people who hold the same title as I do and are purposely oblivious to job requirements, not everyone on "the other side" that I've met over the past 14 years was up to par either. Just recently, I've hosted the same "tag and locate" three times, showing the same tech the same two circuits in the same smart jack housing, orange tag on a black background, Stevie Wonder would've figured it out after the second time around. Not to mention countless occasions where there was no equipment plugged in whatsoever ("can't loop the CSU, good to NIU, prove through demarc" - really?) or it was plugged in a wrong spot etc...but I've repaired one too many other people's supposed NTF's to hold my fellow technicians in too much of a high regard...[/font]

It also depends on the type of work one does. I've spent most of my life in a walking district, so carrying around a set of basic tools along with a Sidekick and a T-Berd and/or Conklin gets tiring pretty fast. You learn to travel light, or you go elsewhere. That's I&M, of course, construction and FiOS crews have trucks. On occasions where I was loaned to boroughs where a van is a necessity, I had pretty damn near everything in it...whether I really needed it or not.

Couldn't have said it any better ajkula66. On the 18th I begin my career as a Network tech and while I'm not sure I will enjoy being inside all the time, I will enjoy not dealing with arrogant customers, IT people, and vendors. And I will be responsible for my offices and not have to worry about dealing with the less than stellar work of some co-workers.

As for tools, all you need is your crackberry, 4DX checklist, and T1 suitcase. wink

Originally Posted by whynot
Couldn't have said it any better ajkula66. On the 18th I begin my career as a Network tech and while I'm not sure I will enjoy being inside all the time, I will enjoy not dealing with arrogant customers, IT people, and vendors. And I will be responsible for my offices and not have to worry about dealing with the less than stellar work of some co-workers.

As for tools, all you need is your crackberry, 4DX checklist, and T1 suitcase. wink

The very best luck to you in the new environment. The only other position I'd ever consider within the company - being a COT - is out of reach for someone with my measly time-in-title, and will likely remain so.

@rcaman:

You bring up numerous very valid points. Nowadays, the "numbers game" is the only requirement that is clearly communicated from all management levels down. Service quality, customer satisfaction and taking pride in one's work are merely buzzwords 99% of the time.

We've lost many seasoned lower-level managers as well as craft people over the past 6-7 years and it shows - to anyone who cares to see, that is - but I don't hold much hope that things will get any better. Apathy is king nowadays, and for that reason alone, if I could retire tomorrow, I most certainly would, and not because I despise the actual work I'm expected to perform. It's the amount of BS - starting with spending hours on hold every day to get anything done - that is wearing my patience out, and fast.

Between customers accepting the (lack of ) cellular connection quality as the new standard, almighty IT folks ruling the roost and LECs being hellbent on burying the buried plant altogether, the craftsmanship that some of us still take pride in belongs in the previous millennium altogether, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited by ajkula66; 08/04/13 11:55 PM.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,832 Shoretel
189,953 CTX100 install
188,056 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024