Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
I have just worked for a company that pulls network cable though conduit for new construction. They did not use any friction reduction devices and the way the pulled the cable was squirly at best. One thing that made me question there training, even if it was amp training, was the instructor said "do not use any lubricating fluids/greases for cable when pulling" I have always used slip to pull network cable. What is the big deal in not using slip on cat6 cable?

Anyway, what friction reduction devices "shoe horns, pullies and so on" can be used for pulling cable though conduits that would reduce labor time and cost with fewer people?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have been on jobs (back in the 1980's) and ran out of cable grease , so I went into the washroom got a piece of paper towel and filled it with hand soap it worked remarkably well and was free.

And the cable is clean & smells good, too!

Admin
Admin
We used to use D&L hand cleaner. Now, I just grab the small bottles of Ideal or Klein clear stuff.

Carl

Apparently cable lube with a water base is now bad for telecom/data cables if you believe a study from American Pollywater.
https://www.polywater.com/cat6.pdf

They are a vendor of lube products so the study may be a bit skewed towards their product.

Last edited by mbhydro; 08/18/12 09:40 AM.
All the more reason why Copper TP for data has to go and be replaced with fiber. As bandwidth goes up copper gets to be more and more of a PITA for any number of reasons and this is yet another. Fiber is easier to install and you do it once and forget it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
WE ran A cat 6 cable thru a 3/4 inch conduit and used lube and it failed attenuation. I figures I pulled too hard and replaced it. It too failed so I called fluke and they said the lube will make it fail. I scanned it a few days later and it passed after the lube dried up a bit.

Ah, so what Polywater is saying is true. Just goes to show that what they are trying to make UTP cable do is beyond it's capabilities.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
A couple invaluable items if you do a lot of pulling through EMT.

LB "shoehorn" https://www.rack-a-tiers.com/product/25/LB-Wire-Guide-Wire-Shoe-Horn

4" square box guide https://www.rack-a-tiers.com/product/187/Wire-Vortex-Wire-Pulling-Guide

That company also makes a metal one with rollers on all four sides but I've found it will sometimes nick the jacket on the smaller diameter cat5.

The key to pulling through EMT is not to have too many 90s in point A to B and adding 4" square boxes for extra pull points.

And.....6A Plenum just sucks to pull anyway, no amount of lube or tools/toys will make you not hate yourself for taking that job --- until the check clears! smile

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
Fluke's Take on the subject.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,867 Shoretel
189,985 CTX100 install
188,103 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Keyset6), 100 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024