Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#526852 05/20/10 03:01 PM
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I have never learned to like installing a phone system that is all modular. Doesn't matter if it is an old Merlin, Partner or anything else. I am an amp and block kind of guy. I have not figured out a consistant way to install an SBX. Today I reused cables attached to an NEC Aspire that I yanked out. I cut the rj 45 to 66 blocks octopus cables in half, left them punched down ont the blocks and then reterminated them with rj 14 plugs with one pair each on pins 3 and 6. Then I had to shift all the existing cross connections down one pair on the station cables.

The last install I did I bought the somewhat strange Vertical Octopus cables. First I yanked all the unterminated wire out of the sheath, and then punched down the remaining pairs on a block and then cross connected to the staion cables.

One method didn't seem any faster than the other.
Terminating both ends your self..that seems like a big waste of time.

What do you guys do?

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#526853 05/20/10 04:22 PM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
I order the SBX Octopus cables like you did and dislike them just as much as you. The NEC DSX is the same way. The larger ACS systems usually look like crap on most of the installs that I have encountered. RJ11 and RJ45 jacks must be cheaper than amphenol connectors. Why else would these manufacturers use them? But we do what we have to do. The ones recommended by the manufacturer are the ones I am learning to live with but I am not a happy camper.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#526854 05/20/10 05:36 PM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I agree with both of you. What we have done in the past is terminate all pairs coming from the telephone/jack side on a split 66M block then use jumper wire to cross connect to another split 66M block that has custom made whips punched down--then going to the KSU. Every summer we have some teenagers make the whips (4 pr cable, about 4 ft in length with mod plugs on both ends) We then cut them in half.

We've been doing this for over ten years. Last summer we didn't have any made. We just didn't put that many TDM systems in. We'll make some more whips this summer, but we stock more & more patch cords, and patch panels these days. We haven't put a system in with amp connectors in quite a while. Nortels & Toshibas.

Last winter we ran into an "old" contract telephone guy who called us in---he didn't know how to punch down a 25 pr cable on a 66 block. Very sad.

#526855 05/20/10 05:46 PM
That is awful!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#526856 05/21/10 01:27 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
I don't like them either, but I've used the Vertical cables. We've actually made some up ourselves in the slower times.

#526857 05/21/10 03:01 AM
I have not talked to any one that likes them either. Terminating the wires to fit the equipment makes such a big difference in appearence.

#526858 05/21/10 04:20 AM
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Siemon makes a preconnectorized block that has 8 rj 14s on one end, and on the other is one of those short 66 blocks on a 89e standoff. It is designed for 2 pair systems (and the SBX is two pair sort of) that have mod jacks. It will take two of them for a 6x16 system not including the co connections.

Price is 51 bucks each. The question is is it worth it?

I always use two 5 ft male to male cables and one s66 prewired double amp connected block for around 57 bucks with all my STS installs, but of course that is good for the whole cabinet 24 phones and 12 co lines. I like to plug in and start cross connecting. I don't care for a bunch of twenty-five pair guessing games like is this the yellow green or the yellow blue? I'm getting to old for that.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

#526859 05/21/10 05:32 AM
The larger ACS systems usually look like crap on most of the installs that I have encountered.
Hal, where are you? Gosh I miss him.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#526860 05/21/10 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Derrick:
Siemon makes a preconnectorized block that has 8 rj 14s on one end, and on the other is one of those short 66 blocks on a 89e standoff.
I think that will look worse. You'll have to make custom modular cables to make it look halfway decent. At least with the octopus cables the ugly is hidden in the KSU compartment.

#526861 05/21/10 11:27 AM
Derrick Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
I think I should have been more specific with my descripton. The block I am looking at has 8 pig tails terminated with 4 pin mod plugs with the other end terminated on a block.

I know what you referring to. The blocks with the mod jacks on the side. You are right, if I used something like that I would still need custom cables.

www.myrandomviews

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Yoda), 144 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024