Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Say goodbye to friggin copper CAT cables for data. Finally an end to the madness and it actually simplifies something that should be simple to begin with. Article here.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

So much for "future proofing" with CAT6. Did I say that out loud. laugh Just can't remember where I heard that term. :rolleyes:

Retired phone dude
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
But wait! Cat 7 is coming real soon now. You wouldn't want to orphan it, would you?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
The thing I didn't realize is that the FiOS fiber plant is completely passive. I never had the opportunity to look inside one of those refrigerator sized equipment cabinets but I did wonder why none of them are powered.

"future proofing"... Just can't remember where I heard that term.

Umm it was the cable manufacturers and it referred to their sales not the wiring. Every few years come out with a higher CAT number and the CGs and IT "professionals" like robots will convince the higher ups to scrap what they have and install new.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Yep Hal, my point exactly. There's no such thing as "future proofing". Technology changes at a rapid pace, so use the correct product for the technology you're supporting now. The future will dictate what you install then.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I'd sure like to see this concept layed out on in a diagram or picture. I don't quite understand how they make it work. Are we talking fiber to the desk, again?

Justin

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Justin, it sounds like fiber to the zone based upon the impression that I got. I'm still not sure how this concept is anything that is actually new.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
sph Offline
Originally posted by hbiss:
The thing I didn't realize is that the FiOS fiber plant is completely passive. I never had the opportunity to look inside one of those refrigerator sized equipment cabinets but I did wonder why none of them are powered.

-Hal
It is true that the optical splitters are passive, but on the other hand both the ONT (CPE-Optical Network Terminal) and the OLT (Verizon Switching Facility-Optical Line Terminal) are powered. The only complaint I've heard about FIOS is the fact that POTS over FIOS needs external power. Verizon does install a BBU (Battery Backup Unit) along with the ONT, that theoretically gives backup power (to POTS-over-FIOS voice only, not to data including voip, or to video) for a few hours.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Of course the OLT at the CO and the individual ONTs at the premises have to be powered but that leaves a HUGE amount of OSP that does not require anything more than FO cable and optical splitters. Compare that to CATV with hundreds, even thousands of actives that require constant monitoring, maintenance and power.

As for the BBU for the ONTs only providing power for POTS, chances are that during a power outage you are going to lose the use of your TVs and computers anyway so why provide BU power for the broadband or video? If that bothers you, there is nothing to stop you from providing your own BU power source as large as you want.

-Hal

sph Offline
Agreed. But the point is that POTS line power now has to be provided by customers, whereas previously it was the responsibility of the carrier. I guess we have to see how this plays out, especially in cases of emergency and long blackouts.
During the last major blackout in NYC area, cell networks were overloaded at times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,903 Shoretel
189,990 CTX100 install
188,109 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024