web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Are hotels installing these anymore? I refer to what looks like a (usually grey) phone line and a 6p plug that that goes into the back of the TV to prevent theft. How do these systems work? Are they like FA circuits with an eotl resistor to prevent tampering/unauthorized removal of the TV?

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I haven't seen one of these in years (at least since I started staying in better places!). Most times they're bolted to the top of a dresser or desk on a swivel unit.

Bill

OP Offline
Yeah, most I've seen use locking bases or tamper-resistant coax cables that require a special socket to remove them. That would be a lot cheaper than a cable going from each TV to some sort of central alarm panel. I didn't know if such cabled security systems were still being installed.

The hotel I used to work for not only had the cabled security devices on TVs (long since abandoned and gutted), but a front desk control for the room AC units. Big sucker with four panels of on/off buttons, each one controlled a relay to open/close one leg of the 240V feeding the PTACs.

Jack

While I've not seen those devices for years, I have noticed some of the hotels now instituting a SensorMatic type of a system. I believe this was in Florida.

Considering new motels are being built now with so many security cameras (like HIE's) it'd be hard to get out with much more than what could fit in your bag.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
OP Offline
Originally posted by ampleworks:
While I've not seen those devices for years, I have noticed some of the hotels now instituting a SensorMatic type of a system. I believe this was in Florida.
I'm not familiar with the name or system - could you elaborate?

Originally posted by ampleworks:
Considering new motels are being built now with so many security cameras (like HIE's) it'd be hard to get out with much more than what could fit in your bag.
Hotels seem like such a mixed bag when it comes to security. I turned down a HIE back in May, but the spec sheet showed, iirc, 29 cameras for the building - pretty insane. Did 33 drops on a 78 room Comfort Inn back in January, have done as few as 8 for much better chains and bigger buildings.

I guess getting 42" flatscreens is a security measure in itself: awfully hard to hide (or run with) one!

Jack

I've stayed in quite a few hotels where once you entered the room you had to put your room key in a slot next to the light switch for everything to have power - lights, AC, etc. I read a pamphlet at the one hotel and it is about the GREEN factor aparently which makes sense.

SensorMatic....those anti-theft devices at practically any retail store.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Originally posted by oobie:
I've stayed in quite a few hotels where once you entered the room you had to put your room key in a slot next to the light switch for everything to have power - lights, AC, etc. I read a pamphlet at the one hotel and it is about the GREEN factor aparently which makes sense.
But a right pain if you want to go out and leave your phone or laptop on charge.

Kind of stupid really. What happens, does the power go off when you leave the room? How do they tell, do you need the key to lock the door from the outside? Why use the card to turn it back on, you don't need any security. A button or a momentary switch is all that is needed.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by hbiss:
Kind of stupid really. What happens, does the power go off when you leave the room? How do they tell, do you need the key to lock the door from the outside? Why use the card to turn it back on, you don't need any security. A button or a momentary switch is all that is needed.
It's just a momentary switch mounted in a faceplate with a slot for the keytag or keycard. E.g. Keycard Energystyle

If you're in the room, put the card in the slot and the lecky comes on. Take the card out, and the lecky goes off.

If you leave the room without taking your card with you, you won't get back in because you always need the keycard to open the door from the outside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,303
Posts638,888
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,814 Shoretel
189,927 CTX100 install
188,043 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024