Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#479506 09/07/06 01:52 PM
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
I have someone that needs a camera in a dark room for photography... The first thing I thought of was an IR camera that wouldn't cause visible light, but would record in there.

Will IR beams affect the film/developing paper at all? Thanks!

Kristopher
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#479507 09/07/06 03:11 PM
From Wikipedia:
The darkroom does not have to be completely dark when making black and white prints. Most black and white print papers are only sensitive to blue light, or to blue and green light, so black and white darkrooms feature a specially-made red or amber colored light, known as a safelight. It enables the photographer to work in the light so they can see what they are doing, without exposing the paper. A low-intensity orange or yellow light can also be used, but these are less common than the red safelight. Color print paper, on the other hand, is sensitive to all parts of the visible spectrum and therefore must be kept in complete darkness until the prints are properly fixed.
That being said, infrared cameras normally use either the 850nm or the 940nm IR range LED's. The better illuminators (higher power) are the 850nm, however at this frequency you will see a dull red glow. The 940nm (less range, cheaper units) seem to be invisible to the naked eye so that would be my guess for a darkroom. [Linked Image from day.az]

#479508 09/07/06 03:34 PM
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Humm...
It is a black/white photo darkroom, and it does have red lights in it.

When people are in there, the red lights are on, when photo is not being developed, the white lights are on, and when it is empty they turn all of the lights off.

There has been some vandalization to the darkroom (at a school) so the advisor wants some assurance that it is being recorded. I haven't seen the size of the darkroom, so I have no clue what range would be needed.

If I understand your thinking, a 940nm would be best? If it is, and the units are cheaper, I can see about getting one on both sides of the room, covering things a little better.

The darkroom has 24 enlarging units, so I don't suppose that it would be a small room. I still need to see how big it is.

One thing I was thinking was a LED panel... mounted on the cieling then smaller range cameras? Panel such as this:
[img]https://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/pinecom_1913_4156446[/img]
L-05 140 Infrared LED Light Panel with auto sensor.
Weather proof plastic molded case with 140 Infrared LED lights.
Built-in CDS(Photo Conductor Sensor) for panel to turn On/Off.
Power Consumption : DC 12~15V 800mA.
Illuminantion Range : 60 degree / 30 feet.
Lightwave : 850nM (Nanometer)
Size : 21mm x 120mm x 160mm.

I have seen some bigger/better than this one, not sure if it would even do the trick...

Kristopher
#479509 09/07/06 03:47 PM
An ir puck may work for you with a few cameras

something like this

https://www.123securityproducts.com/vaprinilpu.html

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#479510 09/07/06 03:55 PM
You may want to find out a little more about what type of photographic processes are carried out in the darkroom. And, share your concerns regarding the infrared light source.

True, black-and-white darkrooms don't need to be completely dark. In fact, if they're setup properly you can actually see very well. Most B&W films/papers are hyper-sensitive toward the blue end of the spectrum. which is why darkroom "safe" lights are usually red or amber. Color darkrooms do live up to their name, they're dark...no light.

The light doesn't have to be visible to expose the materials. With the typical increased sensitivity to blues, ultra-violet light (not visible) is a definite problem (and x-rays).

I would think that you'd PROBABLY be OK in the typical B&W or graphic arts (process camera) darkroom. You would have more chance of a problem if there was any Color processing in the room.

You would absolutely have a problem if they happen to be working with infrared film.

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
#479511 09/07/06 04:13 PM
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for expressing your feelings/concerns and the information. I need all of the advice I can get about this. Mainly, It is black and white...I don't believe its IR film/paper though. My first concern was the camera altering/interfering with the images. Would be a DEFINATE problem.

The puck looks like an awesome idea! much better than a panel.

Now, if IRs end up being a problem, what about a regular camera, with a puck installed on the ceiling, then red filter paper over the puck? That would make the IR beams that filtered red I would think?

I tried to research the affects of IR in a darkroom but of course I only got information about IR negatives/paper.

Kristopher
#479512 09/07/06 04:51 PM
Filters actually work by removing (filtering) particular wavelengths of light, rather than changing the color of the light that passes through. Of course, when the other colors are removed, the light that passes IS a different color.

If the work being done is B&W you'll probably be OK with an infrared light source. I would just keep the output as low as possible.

Making prints/enlargements from infrared negatives shouldn't be a problem either. It's infrared film, in particular that would have a real problem. Its not likely that they are using those types of materials, but its worth asking. In fact, you might just ask if they do ANYTHING in the darkroom that their red safelight needs to be turned off for. If they EVER work with materials that are sensitive to the red end of the spectrum, your infrared light sources will likely fog the materials.

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
#479513 09/08/06 02:13 AM
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, thanks Marty. I'm talking with the advisor today, I'll ask her.

Kristopher
#479514 09/08/06 09:51 AM
From my experience in photography class...color photography there is virtually no light. We had some very small lights on the wall that were greenish in color (if memory serves) just so we could see the walls going in and out of the darkroom. For B&W, everyone is correct, you use an amber/red safelight.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#479515 09/08/06 11:50 AM
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
I talked with her, and none of the things they do in that class require all of the lights being turned off. It is a small sized darkroom, so two cameras in two opposite sides of the room with a illuminator puck has been requested.

Kristopher
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,303
Posts638,889
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,823 Shoretel
189,944 CTX100 install
188,055 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024