web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
The client said that it would make it easier to run cat5 outside of the house to each room for internet access. I would like to know what weather specific cable I should use. What form of hold down clips to attach the cable to the house. Lastly, what glomlet/seal to use to make the entry point water tight? I will purchase the supplies from major suppliers such a Graybar or other.

Thanks smile

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I would only use EXTERIOR cat 5e with the appropriate sized clips. But then again I wouldn't install the cable outside unless it was the ONLY option as then you have to consider PROPER protection for each cable....translate to major $$$$.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
Proper protection meaning lightning protection?

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Just ask for outdoor UV resistant Cat5e and as Dave said make sure you use lightning protection. You sure theres no way to run the cable indoors? What about wireless?

surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
What surge,lightning protection products would you recommend? Im sure it is on the same level protection that is often used to protect cable tv cable stapled to the outside of a older house.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
if its just running around the outside of the same structure I wouldn't worry about protection just be sure the jacket it rated for outdoor use
running cables outside is often the only way to go around here with no basements and attics that are inaccessible

here's some that I picked up with a quick Google search
https://www.altex.com/Belden-DataTwist-Cat5e-Outdoor-Rated-Cable-1000-1594A-BEL-1K-P144451.aspx

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally posted by skip555:
if its just running around the outside of the same structure I wouldn't worry about protection just be sure the jacket is rated for outdoor use
running cables outside is often the only way to go around here with no basements and attics that are inaccessible

here's some that I picked up with a quick Google search
https://www.altex.com/Belden-DataTwist-Cat5e-Outdoor-Rated-Cable-1000-1594A-BEL-1K-P144451.aspx

Skip

Might be easier to run it outside, but most of the jobs I have seen like that look *really* bad a few years down the road, if they even looked decent from the start. and one hit with a weedeater and the whole run is trashed. I would try to run it indoors (attic or crawlspace) if possible or go wireless like tito mentioned. Clips would depend on what surface you are attaching to. How it looks will depend on how much of the cable you can hide, and what surfaces you have to transition across.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
around here its not matter of "easy " on a lot of homes its the only practical choice . If you where to ride through this neighborhood you would have a hard time finding a house without at least one external phone or CATV cable as to the weed eater you dont run it that low .. along the eves and down the wall to the entry point

its standard practice by both the telco and CATV for existing homes

I can show you 30 year old runs that are as neat and tight the day they where put in its the ones that dont clip it down enough that soon look like crap

Skip

I agree Skip - sometimes there is no choice, and like you say the cable and telcos do it. Do it neat and properly strapped from the outset, and it wont look bad. Probably just me that notices it, I've had customers in seven figure homes with what looks like two dollar installs not really care about the asthetics of exterior cable installs. Around here, the phone looks better than the cable (mostly older homes). I wish I had taken pics of the way the cable was originally installed here at the house, it was pretty bad.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,816
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,443 Shoretel
189,212 CTX100 install
187,455 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (jsaad), 117 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024