Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#444176 11/04/06 01:57 AM
OP Offline
Hi folks!

I put a post in the "phone booth" section introducing myself. If you read it, you'll see that I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Not in the industry, but just a fan.

Back in my day, phone connectors had four big prongs. Tip and ring, of course, then the other two ran the lights for trimline phones. The plugs had screw down connectors!

Nowadays, its RJ-11. I've got my crimp tool and my connectors, but holy cow, that stuff is small!

Is there some sort of trick to get the wires all lined up in the RJ-11 connector before crimping? Is there some secret tool I don't have?!?? (Besides a magnifying glass). What a PITA!!

Also, even when I've been successful in getting those buggers into the little holes, it still doesn't have that secure and nice-looking connection like "store" cables.

I need to figure out how to do this because I need to go from a RJ-11 to a 66-block punch down. I thought of just taking a "store" cable with RJ-11 on both ends and cutting it, but the wires inside are not very solid -- its like they are spiraled around string.

So that's my question (and story). I promise not to mention how when I was a kid we had to walk 26.2 miles in the snow to school barefoot.

Thanks in advance, guys!

P.S. I thought of RJ-11 to RJ-11 and terminating into a wall jack which would then give me screw downs to run a wire out, but that's not a very clean solution, especially since I need four of these.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

:rofl:

Unfortunatly siversatin is the only cable that should ever be used in thore mods plugs. By the way there are two types of them. One is for solid wire and the other for stranded.

With my fat fingers I understand your pain. Do you have an altex or graybar near by? or maybe someplace that sells bulk wire. You can pick up a spool of 4 conductor 24 guage solid that will work fine. The reason for the solid wire is the 66 block. or you can pick up ser6n and just use the line cords you have.

just a thought

I haven't see them for awhile, but they used to make a mod plug on the end of 22 gauge quad wire. One end had the plug and the other just wire and I think they were about 15ft long. I've still got a couple around here someplace. If I can find them, I'll see if there is any part number on them. P.S. the trick to crimping is practice.

Retired phone dude
I would check with the guys who do equipment repairs. At the company where I started out we did all our own repair work, and we had a stash of these cables for some of the older phones. Probably don't make them anymore, but if they do the guys in the repair category would probably know where to get them.

you could just use a block set up to accecpt plugs

https://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/EC...ign=8098795C-7BF7-826B-2441-61C003AD0EE3

It never looks as clean but does work

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
About all I can tell you is they are 10 feet long, 24 gauge and made by Brand-Rex, no part number.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
go from the 66 block with solid wire to a biskit jack , (or series of biskit jacks ) then silver satin cord to there .

will give a a far better connection

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
We have set up private production of the solid wire patch cables. We have them available for sale to anyone interested. Here's the original post:

https://www.sundance-communications.../ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/000809.html#000000

They are nearly identical to the Brand-Rex/Hubbell ones but half the price. Ours are ivory in color though, not gray.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
All I can say is, "practice makes perfect". I've probably crimped a few hundred 8P8C ends over the years, and 6P4C ends aren't much different.

One suggestion I can make is to strip the cable back about 1/2" longer than it needs to be, then arrange the wires in the order they'll need to be in when inserted into the connector, then cut off the excess 1/2" while keeping the wires in the correct order.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,873 Shoretel
189,987 CTX100 install
188,105 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (dexman), 145 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024