Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#259378 12/04/02 03:14 PM
jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
many customers these days are opting for t1 for local/long distance from a CLEC like att local services. the circuits i have seen are set up with DNIS so that it works like a DID but on T1. Is this always the case?

I am concerned because i would prefer to use a channel bank on these old switches rather than getting T1 cards. How would i use a channel bank if the CLEC is using DNIS digits? I can't (as far as I know).

My question is twofold: can a CLEC provide local service via T1/PRI without DNIS digits so I can easily use a Channel bank?(and how) or can a channel bank (say Adtran 600 or CAC)accommodate DNIS digits to a regular analog trunk card (on a SX200A)?

many thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
In my area, at least, Time Warner Telecom delivers local dial tone via a T1 and a channel bank. Now this company started out as a local alternative long distance carrier, using Smart-1 diallers, and morphed into a CLEC, before being bought out, going bankrupt, and bought out by AOL/TW.

They have their own Central Offices, and have the ILEC install a point-to-point T1 to the customer premise. They hang a channel bank off of that. With the 24 channels, they can deliver dial tone from their own CO switch, and fractionalized T1 for internet access. Each channel for dial tone appears like a POTS line. They don't offer DNIS or DID via a channel bank, only into a T1 card in the customer's switch. They actually port the customer's old ILEC numbers through Number Portability.

One other company expanding into our area offers Voice over DSL, similar concept except it's a dry pair from their COLO to the prem, and some different hardware from a channel bank. So far I'm not too impressed, but it is getting better.

JJ Offline
If you are getting local and long distance with DNIS digits on a T1. It is called a dynamic T1, which is really a PRI.You can request a T1 for us with channel banks that will give you local and long distance. You get dedicated channels on T for simulated POTS lines and if you need some for DID. There is a T that you can request the DNIS digits be passed on each channel(like caller ID on POTS), but hear it is not reliable.

Talk to the Telco CRM manager, they can explain all the options in your area.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.
Administrator
Administrator
The T1/PRI provided by CLEC has been get advantage for my business. I get to sell and install the T1 card and program it. You can have the T1 set for Loop start lines, ground start trunks or E&M wink using DID/DNIS.
loop start are regular CO's just 24 being delievered on 2 pairs and can be on channel bank or on DTI card (T1/PRI). But DID/DNIS is the way to go you have so many more options and best of all this cant be done on a channell bank. $$$ [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

[This message has been edited by SSPhone (edited December 05, 2002).]

jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for your reply. i guess the way to have the T1 configured would be for loop start trunks and then use a channel bank. why do you feel DNIS/DID offers more options?

Administrator
Administrator
Well with DID/DNIS you can have as many numbers as you want (i.e. Blocks of DID's)
Rotary Groups or Trunk Groups not needed as E&M can come in on any channel. No more busy on main number because other lines in group being used for in/out calls.
Fax hunting. Lot of other options. I am not sure what system you are working with but if you could have DTI card thats the way I would go.

JJ Offline
SSPHONE, is on the money. A T1/PRI straight into switch gives you alot more flexability. Not to mention one less think to go wrong. You are going with a digital signal from Telco straight into a switch.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
I agree, T1 with DID/DNIS is the way to go. You can get Blocks and are very easy to program

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
There are two sides of this argument. While DNIS\DID T-1's are nice to have, they will not work on all systems, i.e Merlin Legend/Magix. Yes, I know these switches will take the facilities, but they allow for no digit manipulation, so what ever digits you recieve, they must corresponse directly to your extension numbers. Whenever we cut a T-1 with DNIS/DID for Legend or Magix, we make sure the CLEC understands our needs in the numbering plan. Some of the smaller systems won't accept T-1 cards, so a channel bank is the only option. Some sytems will accept DNIS/DID setups on T-1, but require a different setup if using a PRI, since a PRI is a whole different animal. The bottom line is you have to get the product that is going to best fit your needs in that particular situation. There are a lot of different configs out there, so just do some checking. Try to use CLECs that can do multiple trunk types on one T-1, and can also offer intergrated voice and data on 1 T-1. These seem to be real popular, esp. for the smaller businesses who are watching out for costs, but want the most features they can get.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
jsaad Offline OP
OP Offline
well, thanks for the good advice, folks. I can see why DID/DNIS is more favorable. Have a great holiday.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,487 CTX100 install
187,693 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024