Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
Client calls and is having connection problems. She has me call her CG and he claims it's more of a speed problem. I explained to him that according to CRTC rules, Bell only has to give a speed of 1200 Baud.

He insists that I check it out, as the client had called Bell, who wouldn't do anything about her speed.

Today I did and the speed is all over the radar, but the lowest was 13k, the highest 22k on her brand new PC, using Vista with Bell's Sympatico Dial up service. When I setup a connection to my ISP on her PC I'd get a better speed...up to 33k.

My laptop, using XP Pro and my ISP for Dial Up would give me anywhere from 18k to 45k.

So, I checked the line and there is a slight hum on it, but I've heard worst. So is Vista more sensitive to line noise?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
more likely the modem the client is using. If its an internal modem, have her double check and make sure she is using the latest driver.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
dave, for this reason i carry an old USR external 56k. around the part of MTL i live in every phone picks up CKGM 990 and using the USR modem it seems to work a lot better than with the internal one. As for Vista VS XP i have yet to see a difference

Jay, a recovering IT guy
The only think that I can think of off hand is there is a problem at Bell exchange your client dials into and they are connecting to a slower speed than they should be.

Back in the mid 90's, an auto insurance company I worked at, when we had connection problems with our agents dialing in would take a modem shelf off line one at a time over night after the agents closed, and power cycle it to clear up the problem.

I was also thinking of Bell and Rogers doing speed throttling but that is for DSL and not dial up.

DSL is all of like $19 a month why not you just tell her to get that, and solve her problems.

OP Offline
Originally posted by AndrewWTI:
DSL is all of like $19 a month why not you just tell her to get that, and solve her problems.
Simple. Contrary to popular belief, DSL only goes so far from the CO. Client is 45-50 minutes from here. Any farther & she'd be above the "Tree Line" living next to Santa.

Actually, she'd love to have DSL. I'm just surprised that she actually has a private line.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Originally posted by soyons-expositifs:
around the part of MTL i live in every phone picks up CKGM 990
What do you mean? They here the TEAM 990 in the background?? That would be cool, I have a tough time picking it up in my truck.

Yes, I'm a frenchie; have a problem with that?? Well, I do!!
You could try one of these from Mike Sandman Modem Filter I used one like it many years ago, it seamed to help.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
Z-man touched on my thoughts here. Internal modems are now more likely to be known as "Win-modems" because of the driver architecture. A Vista driver is vastly different than an XP driver, and therefore may have been poorly implemented, and more susceptible to the line noise.

I'd go along with most suggestions and use external modems, as long as the PC has the serial port.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Using my laptop(XP) internal modem, I have abbout a 1 in 20 chance of connection when trying to dial into customers site. When I go down to our shop and use my PC(XP) with an external modem, I have about a 1 in 2 chance of connection.

I also find that customers who have regular POTS lines are much easier for me to connect to versus the customers that are on PRIs, or have lines from a Frac T-1. Don't know exactly why, but that's the way it's been for about the last two/three years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,430 Shoretel
189,201 CTX100 install
187,442 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024