Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#251961 05/19/07 08:01 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I have recently encountered an error when i attempt to boot Ubuntu Linux. The GRUB boot loader returns "Error 18".

I have read that this is related to an improper partition table, something about the number of cylinders per disk being greater than 1024 and therefore out of the bios' range. Im not sure how this happened. Ive been running ubuntu on this pc for months without a hitch and now this has come out of the blue. My roomate has been using amule recently and that is the only new thing. How likely is it that a malicious intrusion via amule could lead to a boot error of this kind?

I dont want to lose the info i have on the disk so im reluctant to repartition the hd. My last backup was a while ago. What should i do?

:shrug:

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#251962 05/20/07 07:01 AM
Admin
Admin
Very few of us play with Ubuntu and I haven't had any issues but there are some awesome Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums that deal with these platforms full time. You'd probably get faster answers there. Good luck and hopefully you won't lose any info.

[Linked Image]
#251963 05/20/07 09:07 AM
OP Offline
I havent found the Ubuntu forums to be very helpful honestly. Theres so many people asking so many questions that i get the sense that few of the questions are satifactorily addressed, and if they are theyre addressed to a level of user that is beyond me.

Seems like editing my partition table without corrupting my old data shouldnt be that difficult and Ive gotten some good help here in the past.

TOPHER!! HELP!
help

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX
#251964 05/20/07 09:40 AM
Admin
Admin
My first thought would be Old BIOS as noted here

There apparently is a similar bug with Debian. I'd flash the BIOS with the latest update.

[Linked Image]
#251965 05/20/07 11:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Can you boot with a live CD?

If so. find your grub.conf file and look for anything that appears out of place.

OR, while you are booted with the live CD, copy all of you data from your drive(s) onto another PC or USB drive. Then blow away the partitions and re install.

How old is this PC?

#251966 05/25/07 09:27 PM
Check out https://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB#Error_18

It'll tell you more about the error. This is a pretty common thing.

#251967 05/27/07 04:27 PM
OP Offline
thanks for the input guys.

dont have but a second to respond right now but ill get back to you on the results.

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX
#251968 05/27/07 05:02 PM
j2telnoob.

To explain the link I sent you, you basically have to reinstall the OS. Do not do the "automatic" partioning when it comes to the partioning step in the install.

You should do manual partitioning and create a

/boot partition which is only 150 megs large.

The installer will then stick the os's boot stuff(kernel, grub files, etc) in that partition which will prevent the error 18 condition.

#251969 05/27/07 07:57 PM
OP Offline
the situation as it stands...

at the advice of topher i downloaded the ubuntu iso and booted from rescue mode of the live cd. the rescue was running fine until it began testing the suspect hard drive upon which it returned an error, frame buffer i/o error if i remember correctly.

from the shell i ran dmesg and the output was full of ide failures with an unknown opcode.

sector=64
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: i/o error, dev hda, sector 64
printk: 1 messages suppressed.
buffer i/o error on device hda1, logical block 1
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {driveready seekcomplete error}
hda: dma_intr: status=0x40 {uncorrectableerror}, LBAsect=64

so at this point im figuring that its likely a hard drive failure of a physical nature..maybe a faulty head or a broken arm or somethin?...its a 5 year old western digital so a failure of that kind certainly wouldnt be out of the question.

i havent had a chance to download the updated flash bios or anything else for that matter but

to be continued..

im not sure what the i/o errors mean yet but im gonna look into it.

"It is what it is." R.R.
CTP, TCTS, StrataCIX
#251970 05/27/07 08:24 PM
This says that there was an error on the harddrive, and that the command was aborted ("Command aborted"). As far as I have found, such errors once in a while mean nothing serious. As long as there are no "Uncorrectable ECC error"s or other grave errors like checksum error, bad address mark etc. it should be nothing to worry about. Such "aborted commands" occur e.g. when an unknown sector is requested, that is not present on the harddisk, buggy drivers (-> the driver sent a command that was not understood by the drive).

As I stated, you need to reinstall the OS doing a complete format. You will need to partition the drive with a /boot partition of 150 megs and the partition with a / partition and any addition partitions which you want. Typically you can just go with /boot and / but just know that this schema does not follow best practices

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,314
Posts638,913
Members49,773
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,057 Shoretel
190,274 CTX100 install
188,536 1a2 system
Newest Members
lyte, 4thright, dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons
49,773 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 20
jsaad 6
teleco 5
dans 4
dexman 3
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
3 members (Keyset6, OBT, lyte), 154 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024