Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tuned Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 Fax Modem that we need to set up to connect to our ASA. It's my first time using one as we normally use MultiTech modems on our routers which allow us to add the connection string to the AUX port on the router. I've been trying to reverse telnet from my laptop using Hyperterminal but I don't seem to get a connection. I'm using a Cisco rollover cable with a db-9 to rj-45 on my laptop side and a db-25 to rj-45. I'm using the following pinouts for the connections:

DB9 to RJ 45
1 (Blue) DSR(out) 6
2 (Orange) CTS(out) 8
3 (Black) GRD 5
4 (Red) TX(in) 3
5 (Green) RX(out) 2
6 (Yellow) DCD(out) 1
7 (Brown) RTS(in) 7
8 (Gray) DTR(in) 4

RJ-45 DB-25M/F
1 (Blue) DSR(out) 6
2 (Orange) CTS(out) 5
3 (Black) GRD 7
4 (Red) TX(in) 2
5 (Green) RX(out) 3
6 (Yellow) DCD(out) 8
7 (Brown) RTS(in) 4
8 (Gray) DTR(in) 20

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or missing, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I had success using DB9 to DB9 however it has been a while.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
You're using the Cisco serial cable! Connect a standard 9/25 modem cable and you won't have any problems.

Tuned Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah I was attempting to use the two db-to-rj connectors and the rolled rj-to-rj cable that Cisco supplies with the ASA for just such an occasion. I'll give it a try using a 9/25 if I can dig one out. Thanks.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
If you don't have one - ask. I'm sure someone here has one.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Tuned Offline OP
OP Offline
Did some digging and found one 1 in my old laptop bag. Plan to give it a try this morning.

Tuned Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried a standard 9/25 cable with the same results. When I connect using Hyperterminal I get a light on AA, TR, and CS on the modem but no feedback in the program. I'm using 9600/8/N/1 and Hardware for my settings on the COM port.

On the modem side I followed the directions I had: power off modem, dip switch 7 down, power on to reset, power off, reset dip switch 7, power on, connect. I tried copy/paste of the connection string I need in place but when I hit enter I just go back to the Home position on the line.

sph Offline
You could try a null-modem 9/25 cable. Start with a "generic" null modem cable (there are several types but they ALL cross the TX/RX signals). Conversely, if you already use a null modem cable, go for a regular serial one.
Most Cisco serial cables are non-standard/application specific.
Seems like a handshake problem at first glance.
If I may ask, why not go with the modem you already know works?

Try dip switch 4 to on for echo offline with hyperterm.

TG
Tuned Offline OP
OP Offline
SPH -- I'd love to go with a modem I know works but the problem is the ones that we normally use, MultiTech's, aren't configurable so I normally at a connection string on the router so it can talk to the modem. Works like a charm. But this time it's a Cisco ASA, which doesn't allow you the same luxury in terms of defining a string. The string has to be on modem itself, so we're using a US Robotics so it we can program it and have it talk to the ASA properly.

I'll give dip switch 4 a shot. I tried a regular serial cable at first. I'll use my null-modem 9-to-9 with a db25 converter to test as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,580 Shoretel
189,462 CTX100 install
187,616 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024