Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Well, thanks to a couple of guys on the forum here, and a little reading of the manual(imagine that!)I finally got the BCM going and working just fine. I actually plugged it right into my home network and it came right up. I plugged an IP phone and it works just fine. I am getting ready to take it out to the customer site on Wednesday. They will have digital phones on site, and use two IP phones at off site locations. I have told the customer they will need to set up a VPN for the IP phones to work, and their data guy is working on it. Do you guys typically turn off DHCP on the BCM50? Does it work better using a static IP, or does it just not matter. I thought it might be complicated to set up the IP phones, but once the VPN is up, it would appear that the phone will auto recognize the BCM50 on the network. Does this sound right? My thought is to plug the two IP phones into the LAN at the customer site and make sure all the functions are working properly. This way I know the phone is configured correctly.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
You need a static IP for BCM.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
Typically I use a 3rd party router, I don't use the BCM and turn of DHCP. Yes a static IP is a must if you are going to have remote connections.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Okay.... I understand why I need a static..... the system has been off for a few days, and I wanted to fire it back. Everything turn on okay, but the IP phone would not find the server. I couldn't log in using EM on the network either. To make a long story short, the original IP address I started with got changed. So am I correct in assuming that the IP address that the Nortel IP phones first see when they are hooked up to the network, that is, the IP address of the server, is that the address they look for from now on? Once I reset the IP address back to the original one I used, the phone came right up. I guess to simplify my question..... When I install the BCM into the customer site, they are going to give me a different IP address than what I am using on my test bench. I understand how to change that. How do I tell the IP phones to go look for the new IP address? I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks

Z-man

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
You need to program the ip phone with the static ip of the BCM. You access the the config when you power up the phone. The instructions should be in the IP telephony setup & install.

definitely give the BCM a static IP and turn off DHCP server. take your laptop to custoemr figure out their IP address scheme and then PICK an IP. test with ping to see that nothing else is using it. inform any IT people you are going to use that IP.

what type of IP phone are you using, do you know how to configure the IP phone's IP addr, default gateway and server address, port?

with i2004, you press 4 specific buttons in sequence when you see Nortel Networks after powering up phone. there is also another way without removing power. long sequence of buttons that brings up the menu.

for a remote phone all IP addresses would be on local network except for the Server address (the BCM) which would be at the home office (via VPN)

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
The phones are 1140E IP phones.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Admin
Admin
Why not turn on DHCP for phones only? That way they'll auto-provision...

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,303
Posts638,888
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,812 Shoretel
189,911 CTX100 install
188,034 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 163 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024