I think what it is more than anything is a skill set the IT guy simply doesn't have for the most part. They, the IT guy, thinks that if they get enough manuals and can herd someone on the phone for days at a time they can do it. Unfortunately these same IT guys, whoafully undertrained for even an IT position, are put in charge of everything electronic because most of the bean counters and decision makers haven't a clue about computers or phones.

The question I would ask business owners is WHY you would entrust your business, and I mean critical business decisions, to a person that can barely balance a check book and you probably only pay minimum wage to.

See, I actually went to college for IT...well actually programming but I have been using and working on code and computers for quite some time. It amazes me how many times that "I" the phone vendor gets called in to fix stupid level zero and one issues with someones network which isn't even my business.

Until the computer sector gets their collective heads outa their asses and demands these people get properly trained for even IT jobs (not simply MS certs...quite a joke IMHO) but REAL training so they can actually manage and fix network issues...VOIP simply will never work properly on a large scale.