atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Andyreed Which system? - 03/06/16 07:39 AM
Just out of total curiosity, I'm trying to identify a system I remember seeing a lot as a kid in the 80s at the Dierbergs and Grandpa Pigeons stores here in St. Louis. I remember the phones looked somewhat similar to the original Nortel SL1 "wedge" phones, with the round Western Electric style handset, and a brown or wood grain faceplate. Pretty sure they were these: https://usedphones.com/phones/electronic-phones/nitsuko-tie-ek-820-12238.html or these: https://usedphones.com/phones/electronic-phones/nitsuko-tie-ek-820-12237.html

I also remember a very distinctive, and loud, warble tone before a PA announcement was made. And 2 digit station numbers.

Anyway, that's about all I remember, just curious. I deal with all IP systems at work everyday, but I have a growing collection of older stuff at home, wouldn't mind adding one of these systems.

Thanks!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Which system? - 03/06/16 05:49 PM
In the second pic, those were TIE EK516 models. They were very popular in the 80s. They later came out with the 'Econo-Key' sytem, that used a much simpler flat-pack KSU design, but it stuck with the classic 80s ivory with woodgrain scheme.

TIE ECONO-KEY PHONE
Posted By: Andyreed Re: Which system? - 03/06/16 11:00 PM
Which systems would these phones have been used with.

I remember seeing a lot more of the first phone that looks more like a Nortel set than the wood grain ones.
Posted By: Andyreed Re: Which system? - 03/06/16 11:02 PM
Never mind answered my own question, the EK516 duh!

Did they make a larger version that used these phones? I remember Dierbergs stores having a lot of phones and a lot of phone lines.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Which system? - 03/07/16 03:57 AM
Oh yes, they made much bigger systems. I believe that the next size up from the EK516 was 12X32. The next and largest step was 24X64. The cabinets and separate power supplies were huge.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Which system? - 06/12/16 02:46 AM
The 516 was a flat pack type. the phones looked like EK but were different. EK 820/1232/2264 was a square box with slide in cards. it was the cheaper side. The Ultracom 820/1232/2264 was the bigger dog. phones looked different and was a 3 wire system with off hook
announce. I could not carry a 2264 power supply up 1 flight of stairs today. Most likely could not even pick it up. But I put in a load of them in the day.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help