atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/04/09 05:24 PM
So, as some of you know, I am now part of our student radio station. Our transmitter is in the midst of being replaced and I met the station's engineer last week. We transmit our signal over dry pairs from the studio to the transmitter site. I did some looking around, and apparently they use a Western Electric 111C repeating coil on each side of the line. Can someone explain exactly what this does?
Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: EV607797 Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/04/09 06:00 PM
It's basically a 1:1 transformer that isolates the dry pairs electrically at each end from the audio equipment in an effort to eliminate hum. If I recall correctly, there is also a series of capacitors on the line side to absorb AC hum and shunt it to ground. I haven't seen one of those things in years, so I can't speak with with complete accuracy.
Posted By: Silversam Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/04/09 07:31 PM
Jeff -

Check out this web page:

https://oldphoneguy.com/repeat_coils.htm

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/04/09 07:58 PM
The way I understand it is, there is a coil on each side, left and right. On the coil itself they mounted a 42A block. The dry pairs connect to one set of terminals, and the audio pairs connect to another.
Sam, thanks for the link.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/05/09 07:42 AM
Never mind the answer, what a great pair of web sites! Thanks, SAM smile John C.
Posted By: tantivy Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/05/09 07:43 PM
Basically a nice high quality high-level audio transformer.. can be strapped for 150 or 600 ohms on each side. I've got a couple 111C's stashed out in the garage someplace..

I took a 111C, and built it into a hammond box with binding posts and XLR on both sides, with switches for impedance and ground lift on both sides for use on remote broadcasts.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: WE 111 Repeat Coil - 02/20/09 12:42 PM
And I just saw some pairs of 111's on e-bay, for anyone interested. John C.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help