atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: justbill Wireless wants priority after a disaster. - 08/29/06 06:43 AM
Wireless companies want priority repair.

Story

Posted By: IPKII Re: Wireless wants priority after a disaster. - 08/29/06 06:05 PM
That's fine if they can make a phone without a ______ damn camera in it!
It kinda makes sense to get the wireless back up asap so the relief teams will have another means of co-ordinating their efforts once they get into place.

But it looks like this will go the way everything goes when the government gets involved.... down the toilet.
Yes, we must get that mediocre service up as soon as possible.

Richard
I would think the relief teams in a situation like that would use satellite, but I really have no idea, maybe someone else knows the facts. Seems like the power companies feel they would be spread too thin if they had to get power back to hundreds of towers, along with the normal priority customers. Also from what I've read in this and other articles is they really do try to get to them as fast possible. I can understand the point of relief teams, but most of those are just Joe blow Users. I don't know the answer, but thought it was an interesting article.
In most disaster areas, amateur radio is the main form of communications between relief agencies and the people in the field. If the cell towers were priority, they would be overloaded and useless, IF they still had communication to the outside world. Power priorities should be hospitals, public service, and command centers first, everything else as they can get to it.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help