atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: teldata1 Co-ax connections - 12/14/23 01:44 PM
I always have a hard time putting the coax connections on
I watch the Comcast guys do it in about two seconds what is going on?

I am using the Kline compression tool

I’m assuming it has something to do with the type of cable that I’ve been using?

Is there a certain brand of coax cable that I should be using?

Thanks

JD
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Co-ax connections - 12/14/23 04:40 PM
There are many steps in properly terminating coax cable. Probably the most important is using the correct connectors with the correct cable. RG-6 Quad connectors won't work on RG-59 cable et cetera.

Also make sure your adjusting tool is properly set for the cable type so you don't cut too shallow or too deep and lose all the braid.

Once your braid is folded back insert the connector: push and twist until the white insulation is flush with with the connector.

Make sure you have the proper setting for the compression tool.

The compression should not be loose or difficult.
Posted By: dexman Re: Co-ax connections - 12/15/23 03:42 AM
I sprung for a tool to prep coaxial cable for termination. When the cable is properly inserted into the tool, the outer jacket and various shielding are removed in the proper amounts to help make it easier to slide the connector onto the end of the cable.

It should be worth noting that when using tri or quad shielded cable, the only foil shielding that needs to untouched is what is stuck to the center insulation. The other layer of foil shielding found on tri & quad shielded cable should be removed.

The braid shield should be folded back as evenly as possible. With that, compression connectors should slide on fairly easily...ready to be compressed.

For what it's worth, I use either Belden compression connectors (which are largely used by service providers such as Verizon & Comcast) as well as Arris Digicon DS6Q compression connectors.

Here is what I use to prep coaxial cable:
https://cableprep.com/drop-cable-tools/stripping-tools/super-cpt-cable-stripping-tools/

This is what I use to compress connectors:
https://www.techtoolsupply.com/RG6-RG59-RG11-Cable-Pro-Compression-Tool-p/lcct-s59-11.htm

While expensive, I've found that good coaxial prep tools stocked by Home Depot work just as well.
Posted By: erniejoey Re: Co-ax connections - 12/15/23 04:04 PM
Learned this from an old time cable guy...If you are having problems sliding under the jacket use a lighter to heat up the jacket a little bit. Works well for plenum or when you are outside in the cold...
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help