atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MooreTel Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 12:41 PM
Because this thread has been hijacked, I thought it would make a good topic.

So, considering quite a few say that you should never use staples on Cat 5e cables, how do you attach them "securely, safely and yet professional looking"?

Personally, for single runs:

For quad I use a T18 stapler
For Cat 5e I use a T25 stapler (7/16")
For Coax I also use a T25 stapler. (9/16")
I also staple only as needed to avoid possible misfires and having to start over.

If I'm running multiple cables, I'll install small plastic tie mounts and tyraps.

At the "field", I usually use PVC U-straps like the sparkies use (of the appropriate size).
Posted By: festec Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 01:08 PM
Dry wall screw a scad of velcro to the wall its nice to use for the last 10 feet in case you need to add more wire. Ty-wraps and cable saddles works ok but don't over tighten them so you can add more wire with out cutting the old ty-wraps. Your electricians (in Calgary)are hammering in electrical staples, on groups of six cat5e wires or more, apparently that causes damage to the wire and then twist the blue pairs together with marrets. :rofl: Thats what electricians do because they don't know any better and they still try to monopolize the market. :shrug:
https://www.contact-directconnect.com/the_competition.htm
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 01:16 PM
I'll use my T2025 (takes T25 staples) for single runs of phone...never on data. I like the Panduit LPMS mounts with cable ties for data, even if it's one or two.
For coax I am hooked on Flex Clips , I found out about them from the cabletechs forum. I've even switched their screws out for self tapping sheet metal screws on a house with aluminum siding. I used them as well as black cable ties with holes at the top to clean up all the coax cabling outside my house.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 05:43 PM
I like thge flex clips as well, the hold hreat, I actually use them for speaker wire as well (depending on the application I may need to use the double version)
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 06:03 PM
That's a good idea anth!
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/02/12 06:36 PM
Jeff I first used them under a very large deck while running outdoor audio. It really worked out great.
Posted By: Toner Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/06/12 08:25 AM
For commercial installs with T-bar ceilings J Hooks work well - pull a string in with your cable and future cable runs will be much easier!

On the backboard nothing short of saddles & tie wraps is acceptable. I-ties are terrible because you have to replace each one every time you add a cable frown Screws through pieces of velcro works alright too, although the velcro can end up being too small if a large number of cables are added.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Best attachment methods for cables - 03/06/12 02:55 PM
For Cat 5e I use a T25 stapler (7/16")
For Coax I also use a T25 stapler. (9/16")

Any fastening method that dents, squeezes, bends or otherwise distorts these cables will affect their performance. If you put a TDR on a stapled run you will actually see where the staples are. CAT cables also may not certify.

The only time you should have any problem finding suitable support or fasteners is when running cable along an exposed surface such as on the wall around a room where you want to make it look nice. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices given that the coax or data cables can't be bent tightly either. So the best solution though not the cheapest is to find a way to conceal the cable. Within the wall, behind baseboard or tucked down between the carpet tack strip and baseboard and plastic raceway are some options.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help