atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 03:54 PM
I had to pass up a potential nice job because I did not have a drill driver drill at the moment. Now I need to get some recommends on a affordable one to drill into concrete. If some one can suggest one, that would be great!
Posted By: skip555 Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 04:18 PM
what size holes ?

Ive rented Hilits when I needed something heavy duty , I have a cordless ryobi and a corded Makita for small stuff
Posted By: metelcom Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 05:03 PM
I like my Milwaukee but be careful where you buy one. I bought one at Home Depot and the chuck broke off on the first hole. I went to a real tool store and bought another and the chuck shaft was much larger. Same model number just had a letter at the end and was $100 cheaper at HD.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 05:31 PM
Hilti. Big bucks, and will last a lifetime.
Posted By: surdel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 05:32 PM
I know hilti are one of the best. I used one though another company and cannot recall what model. Perhaps it was Bosch? I have no idea from dad to day or project to project what size holes I will be drilling the size of. But I imagine it cannot be any bigger then anchoring a server rack into the ground.
Posted By: cradams Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 06:27 PM
Hiltis are great drills. However METABO makes a good smaller sized hammer drill (can't remember the model #) that will drill both large and small holes with ease..low impact to the user too which is always a good thing...On another note, I use the Bosch drill bits,,,the bit is just as important as the drill
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 08:00 PM
It depends what you are trying to do, like the others say. My Dewalt can drill small holes for anchors and Tapcons with no problem. I've used Hilti and Metabo SDS hammer drills for actually having to put a conduit sized hole in block walls. Be careful because they can also take your arm off!
Posted By: Z-man Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/09/10 09:11 PM
I use M12 and M18 cordless Milwaukee tools for light to medium drilling. Great tools and great power. However, if it is really coming down to some heavy duty drilling using SDS bits, I have to give major kudos to my Bosch Bulldog. I have had this drill for 10 years now and it still runs great! It is by far the best SDS Hammer drill I have ever used!! and they are reasonably priced as well. With all this being said. You really have to make sure you have the right type of hammer drill for the hole sizes and quantity. If you are putting in some small concrete anchors, then standard masonry bits and a drill should work. If you are drilling some 1/2 holes, then you need SDS bits and hammer drill.
Posted By: Rover88 Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/11/10 07:14 AM
We've had a Hilti for years. Recently needed a second hammer drill, so I wanted to get the Bosch Bulldog. My tool house sells Bosch, but directed me to the similar Makita model; they said same performance, less money. I think they're right. I've used the Makita for up to 1-1/4" holes. It's not quite as powerful as the Hilti, but certainly gets the job done. Also, if you can, make sure whatever you get has a "hammer only" function--I've found chisels in hammer drills to be a lifesaver.
Posted By: ttech Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/11/10 03:14 PM
We use the Dewalt 18v and Ridgid 18V for basic stuff.

Next up up is the Dewalt 18V cordless SDS hammer drill. It is strictly a hammer drill not the normal selectable drill/Hammer drill and also the Hilti TE18M.

Then comes the 14.4V and 18V dewalt right angle drills and The Milwakee Hole Hawg right angle drill (the big one).

Lastly the Hilti DD130 coring Rig.

Each drill has it's unique purpose. Not one does every job, but each does it's job very well.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/11/10 04:59 PM
I have the Milwaukee lithium ion 18v drill and impact driver for most stuff. an 18V dewalt hammer drill for light to mid weight hammer drill stuff. and a bosch for my heavier hammer drilling. I also have a Milwaukee 12v that I find myself using more and more for mounting stuff and installing plates.
Posted By: Z-man Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/12/10 10:16 PM
Originally posted by anthonyh:
I have the Milwaukee lithium ion 18v drill and impact driver for most stuff. an 18V dewalt hammer drill for light to mid weight hammer drill stuff. and a bosch for my heavier hammer drilling. I also have a Milwaukee 12v that I find myself using more and more for mounting stuff and installing plates.
I love the little Milwaukee 12v series of tools. Light and powerful, and does 95% of what I need a drill or driver to do. Every now and then you have to get into the big tool box!
Posted By: anthonyh Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/13/10 04:19 PM
yep..thing is great and it fits in the front pocket of a hoodie when on a ladder
Posted By: surdel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/21/10 10:57 PM
must be talking about this one? I think this is the one I used. Did a great job.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/2124970896.html
Posted By: surdel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/21/10 11:02 PM
This one is even a better deal. I think the recession is still bad here.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/2060126657.html
Posted By: MooreTel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/22/10 02:44 AM
I fail to see how either of those two links would fit inside the front pocket of a hoodie when on a ladder.
Posted By: jbrd973 Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/22/10 05:24 AM
Home Depot will rent different sizes of different types of concrete drills/chippers. So next time there will be no need to lose a job because of a lack of tools.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 12/28/10 08:28 AM
I use a Bosch Bulldog Xtreme or a DeWalt corded rotodrill. Either will swing up to a 1 1/8" bit, which I believe is the largest that can be put into a SDS/TE-C chucked drill. Id say the bits are way more important than the drill, I use the Hilti X-head bits, they are so much faster and smoother than standard bits. Even if you are just drilling a floor for rack mounts, get good bits: it's a supreme pita to get a broken bit out of a hole.

for putting in floor anchors, any standard 18V hammerdrill ought to work. I have done it with my B&D Firestorm and cheap bits, it's slow going but works.

Jack
Posted By: surdel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/10/12 05:33 PM
Fletcher, Picked up a used firestorm pretty cheap and works. It was used did not have a charger but, the nice thing is its a 1/2 inch chuck. Now I can used some of my larger drill bits and whole saws.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/10/12 06:14 PM
We have companies around here (I think Hilti is one of them) that come out to your site and bore holes of any size in concrete floors with steel rebar in them. I had 4 floors done with 4 inch bores through a 4 inch thick floor for 160 bucks. that was several years ago. It took the guy about an hour. They used a big ass drill with water coolent through the bit. As few times as I have needed stuff like that, I prefer to pay for the services of people with the right stuff.
Posted By: KLD Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/11/12 03:49 AM
Mark is SOOOO right.

I had a "bank job" where they wanted their servers moved to the vault. A coring company came in on a Saturday, drilled the 4" holes through the poured concrete with a lot of rebar, cleaned up, and were gone in an hour.

The bank was so happy, I ended up putting in two new telephone systems for them!

The right people for the job costs less.

:thumb:
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/11/12 09:48 AM
And besides, if they do damage, they're the 'first in line'. Unless you 'sub' the job out! I preferred to recommend/suggest that the owner deal direct. I would take a 100% markup, and told them so. smile (I want no responsibility for broken stuff, water, fire, gas, whatever!
Posted By: festec Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/11/12 05:57 PM
:rofl:
:toothy:
By a Big Bosch Drill that takes small bits!
IBDN/CDT Certified For What's Comming Next! :thumb:
Posted By: surdel Re: recomend a drill driver drill - 03/13/12 04:58 AM
Yes, heard of nightmare scenarios where a tech or company bored a hole into concrete and hit electrical. The slab had to be jackhammered to repair the damage "I did not ask for details"

Here, a x-ray will cost $850.00 before going though concrete. But that is something I would ask the owner to deal with directly, thus saving me the cost of hiring out.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help