atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Cepega JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/02/10 07:48 PM
I wonder if anyone have any experience with this type device. Any reviews?
Posted By: MnDave Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/02/10 07:50 PM
Once you buy one you will never know how you lived without it!
Posted By: Cepega Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/02/10 07:55 PM
I've seen the video of it in action, I have to admit pretty cool. I guess I wonder about more than just the wonders it is capable of. I would like to know if there are any info available about the quality and durability of JackRapid
Posted By: skip555 Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/02/10 08:44 PM
jack rapid discussions here
Posted By: Cepega Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/02/10 10:10 PM
Skip, Thanks for the link, however that link seems to be broken.

I did a search on the topic, and that returned quite a few hits, anyone in particular that has more info.

Also, This is a little bit off topic, but search button should be a little bigger as it is easy to miss. It is so small that I keep forgetting that it is there.
Posted By: metelcom Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/03/10 06:00 AM
I have not used the one made by Leviton but I love my ICC rapid tool. The ICC has dies for either the High Density jacks and the EZ jack which I like to use.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/03/10 07:56 AM
My only 'complaint'?

At the cost of $$$ it's too bad that the tools only work on a couple styles of jack.

Cat 5e | Cat 6 : Different

Leviton | Ortronics : Different

In a perfect world it would be standardized, like:

Taco Time | Taco Bell : Same Results
Posted By: Yoda Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/03/10 09:05 AM
Same as what MNDave said. You won't leave home without it. I bought one tool and dies for both 5e and 6. Easy to use. Cuts your time for installing large quantities.

I love mine.

Jim
Posted By: Cepega Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/03/10 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

From my research there seems to be about 2.5 manufacturers, Fluke, Leviton and Harris. From pics, looks like Leviton and Fluke is the same thing except for the coloring yellow and blue vs yellow and gray, Harris is red.

I think I got it right.

As far as preferences go, any input?
Posted By: metelcom Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/03/10 07:11 PM
You left out the best one.
ICC makes the EZ jack and the rapid tool
[Linked Image from showmecables.com]
[img]https://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-7602493195877_2133_25404511[/img]
This tool will do Cat 5 and 6 plus the HD jacks
Posted By: dwflood Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/04/10 04:45 AM
They're worth the expense in my opinion.

Especially useful when putting jacks on underneath work surfaces in cubes. Just lay in the wires and snap you're done. Takes half the time.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/04/10 08:50 AM
Harris was the original maker (red) and they were bought by Fluke who changed the colors to blue and yellow. I was not aware that Leviton had one...
It all depends what brand of jacks you prefer..since I use Leviton, I went out and bought the JackRapid with Leviton die, and it saves me a ton of time.
Posted By: dexman Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/04/10 10:57 AM
With the proper die, JackRapid also works well with Systimax jacks. :thumb:
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/04/10 03:13 PM
The company I work for now is high on using Panduit...doubt if it's even possible to manufacture a termination tool for a two-part jack.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/04/10 08:56 PM
I rarely have to work with Panduit, but I have the tools for both the older cat 3/cat 5 and the newer cat 5e/cat 6 jacks, they fit nicely on a keychain smile
Posted By: Kevin-MI Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/05/10 04:48 PM
I have a JackRapid tool for the Systimax MGS400 jacks. It works great and never had a failure.
Posted By: Derrick Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/06/10 10:20 AM
I have three of them, I never install a cat5 or 6 cable without using one. (Fluke owns Harris and they OEM Levitons tool.)
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/06/10 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Derrick:
I have three of them...
This is my point exactly. At $$$ per tool at what point does it make financial sense...I haven't used my Leviton Rapid Jack for over three years. The companies I have worked for and/or the customers don't use jacks that my $$$ tool is compatible with.

What's the $$$ of a 110 Punch Tool?

Don't misunderstand, I love the Rapid Jack, but what good is it if you don't use it?
Posted By: Kumba Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/06/10 06:27 PM
It seems to me, that if you have 1 flat-rate job, and the jackrapid saves you about 1-hr of time on that 1 job, it should in essence pay for itself. Everything after that is just gravy. The leviton version doesn't seem that expensive. No clue how much the other jackrapids cost, but can't imagine they are too out of line.

Unless you buy the tool to crimp one jack and never use it again, I'm not sure how much of a waste it is. I'm sure you have other tools you bought for a job that never see the light of day but once every few years.

Besides, for me, any tool that is reasonably priced (or has a high rate of return), that ALSO makes my life significantly easier when I do use it, is worth it. Plus you get to say you have one. smile
Posted By: metelcom Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/06/10 06:57 PM
The first job I used it on had 120 drops. At a 30 second per jack savings (low estimate) it saved one hour labor. I have used it for over 2000 jacks since then so it has paid for itself many times over.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: JackRapid Punchdown Tool - 12/06/10 07:05 PM
I mentioned before that I love my Harris JR for Leviton Cat5e jacks (top termination style). I DESPISE the Fluke/Harris model for Leviton Cat6 jacks (rear termination style). That's more a complaint with cat6 cable and the Leviton jacks than the tool. I use a regular 110 punch tool when I have to use Lev cat6 keystones.

eta: some of the plastic tips broke on my 1st lev cat5e JR due to my misaligning the wires. It still works, tho I have since replaced it with another to ensure I get perfect seating of the wires. The slide mechanism will need lube after a few hundred terminations or it will start sticking.

Jack
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help