atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: icpeanuts telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/05/06 10:22 PM
Which is the standard for telephone jack wiring in commercial office? Is it T568A and T568B?

Thanks
Posted By: metelcom Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 04:05 AM
neither 568 is for 4 pair mostly data, telephones only use one pair RJ11
Posted By: DnRComm Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 07:01 AM
Or 2 pair and a few even still use 3 pair.
Posted By: skip555 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 07:41 AM
lets not forget the merlin's and 4 pair which brings us back to 568b wink
Posted By: icpeanuts Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 07:59 AM
I have an rj11 jack, it contain two wiring scheme. for cat 3.

A - orange white, solid blue, blue white, solid orange
B - green white, solid blue, blue white, solid green

I read somewhere 90% of the new installation used either of this/ which scheme is it?
Posted By: upstateny Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 08:00 AM
Either one will work just make sure both ends are the same.
Posted By: hbiss Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/06/06 02:02 PM
I read somewhere 90% of the new installation used either of this/ which scheme is it?

I would suggest you stop reading whatever computer magazine that was in.

-Hal

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Originally posted by icpeanuts:
I have an rj11 jack, it contain two wiring scheme. for cat 3.

A - orange white, solid blue, blue white, solid orange
B - green white, solid blue, blue white, solid green

No.

An RJ11 is a single line -- only one pair. A 6P2C jack. (six positions two conductors)

If you have two pairs it is an RJ14, a 6P4C jack.

There is nothing that is standard on 90% of installations, other than the wire being copper.
Posted By: Kyawa Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/09/06 10:24 AM
:bow:
Remember guys, at one time the idea was data on pins 1,2,3 and 6, phone on 4 & 5, and 7 & 8 Future. Future = Spare 'cause we don't know what to do with the other pair from this 4-pair AT&T unloaded on us.
Now I've REALLY confused icpeanuts!And if he thinks there's lot's of money in this field, somebody set him straight.
Who, me, bitter? NAH!
John C.
Speaking of a standard...
How come non phone people (usually data or electricians) instinctively install phone jacks upside down, with the tab on top?
Posted By: skip555 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/12/06 08:45 AM
since electrical outlets are installed with the ground up it probably makes sense to them
That makes sense. laugh Another reason may be that most of us have thumbs on the top. :thumb:

What I don't get is why they didn't use pairs 1-2 and 7-8 for data, leaving the middle two pairs for phone lines 1 and 2. As it is, if you plug a data cable into an 8 position, two-line, phone jack, it will apply voltage to the data circuit that is using pair 3-6 and possibly fry it, expecially when the phone rings.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/12/06 11:03 AM
Michael:

The origin of the 8P8C plug/jack in mainstream use came long before data ran on anything but coax. AT&T's systems in the early 1970's required three pairs, sometimes four for long runs on their electronic sets. They set up their own pin assignments, one for voice, one for data and one for power. Again, this was years before 568A/B was even on the drawing board.

I would assume that since AT&T systems were dominant in many major markets, their wiring became the "standard". Their wiring pattern is what is known today as 568B. I would imagine that if their systems hadn't been developed with this wiring pattern, 568A would be the only standard today.

I guess the simple answer is that the concept of LANs as we know them today didn't exist back then. As they today's LANs developed, they were adapted to work in harmony with what had pretty much become the wiring norm.
Posted By: justbill Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/12/06 11:55 AM
Also private line data, to two digital data circuits do use pins 1,2 and 7,8. To me data is not the same as computer network wiring. Also a 4 wire phone system wouldn't fry anything on a computer network as pins 3,6 if used would be the digital portion of the phone system so there's just not that much voltage. As far as plugging the incoming lines into a network jack, well that's a good arguement for using the right jack for the job you're doing.
Originally posted by ev607797:

I would assume that since AT&T systems were dominant in many major markets, their wiring became the "standard"...
What I heard was this.

Back when TIA/EIA was coming up with a wiring standard for data networks, they were essentially strong armed by AT&T to use their prevalent pattern as we know it today, 568B. Essentially, w/o an AT&T approval on a new standard back then was like toothpaste w/o an ADA emblem stamped on the tube. So the compromise was 568A, everyone was happy; AT&T could still keep their equipment running on the new wiring standard and the TIA/EIA felt as if they didn’t really give in to it.

Like i said this is what was told to me.

~r
Posted By: KLD Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 02:18 AM
Rusty, that might have been what you heard BUT ----

Bell Specs were in use before anyone even heard of TIA/EIA.

568B came first, 568A came only about 10 years ago.

568A was pushed by the off-shore manufactureres so their two pair telephone sets would x-connect straight. The IT types loved that as one patch panel could do data and voice.

laugh
Posted By: FTT388 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 05:05 AM
icpeanuts as U work in your area and find the work of others and see what shceme they used. For data pick either 568a or b. Make sure that all ends match. jacks, patch panel, patch cords, etc... I my area we use 568b and I have not come cross one using 568a. Maybe one time long time ago. Most phone business systems use one pair now. 4 and 5 are the pins used,that's the same for rj11,568a,and 568b. Sets a standard for yourself and use it until you find a need to change it. U will get the hang of it. Good Luck!
Posted By: skip555 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 05:49 AM
568A was pushed by the off-shore manufactureres so their two pair telephone sets would x-connect straight. The IT types loved that as one patch panel could do data and voice.
If your terminating to a patch panel then it doesn't matter a two pair will work fine on either scheme .

so the same patch panel always will do two pair a or b

it only becomes a issue if your terminating one end to a block
Originally posted by skip555:
since electrical outlets are installed with the ground up it probably makes sense to them
They are? I usually see the ground on the bottom. Anyway, any reference to an electrician and making sense in the same sentence... c'mon man, let's get serious. laugh

Richard
There is a lot of conroversy about this. I think that's the way they do it in Canada and Australia.

What I would like to know is why the electric outlets are always ORANGE in hospital rooms. Is there a color code for electric outlets?
Posted By: metelcom Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 04:58 PM
Around here orange outlets mean dedicated circuit hospitals use a hospital grade outlet marked with a green dot
Posted By: justbill Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 05:07 PM
Ground up was designed for safety when metal face plates were used. At least that's my understanding, I'm no electrician.
Posted By: hbiss Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 05:33 PM
The green dot means that the receptacle or plug is hospital grade.

Essential and emergency system receptacles are usually red to signify their use and so that things like coffee pots, microwaves and TVs aren't connected to them. These circuits will be supplied by a backup system such as a generator during utility power failure.

Orange receptacles are usually isolated ground. They will have a green triangle on them and are by no means only found in hospitals. The need for their use however is questionable with modern equipment.

There is absolutley no requirement that dictates in which direction a receptacle is installed or which way the ground should be.

And yes, jacks should always be installed with the pins on top to keep dust from fouling them.

-Hal
Hospitals also have red receptacles. Not sure why.
Posted By: Clinton Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 07:12 PM
M.P. I'm in Western Canada, and our outlets have the grounds on the bottom. They may do things differently in Central or Eastern Canada, but by no means is that hows it's done across the board up here.
Posted By: skip555 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
Hospitals also have red receptacles. Not sure why.
I was told the red ones are tied into the emergency generator so in a power failure staff can quickly tell which ones are live.

the purpose of ground up is so if a metal object , less say a picture frame where to fall and hit the plug partially disengaging it the metal would hit ground rather than potentially shorting

NEC doesnt address it (ground up or down )

(actually I was being sarcastic as to why the jacks are mounted upside down wink )

oops missed Hals answer as to the red
Originally posted by hbiss:

There is absolutley no requirement that dictates in which direction a receptacle is installed or which way the ground should be.
Just a matter of time.

I did a residential house for a friend of mine and it failed final inspection because the grounds where installed downward. Inspector stated that it’s not in the NEC, but was recently adopted by the city as a "new" code.

Its nothing more than one more precautionary step towards safety. Should something fall down the wall and land on a 3 prong plug not fully inserted; it touches ground first.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/15/06 10:38 PM
OK, I will throw a wrench into the whole mix here about the ground pin on receptacles. Take a look at Chicago (and possibly Cook County, IL). The trend there is to mount receptacles horizontally. The only place that I know of in the world that actually "requires" this mounting. I assume it's more of an adapted trend over the years (kind of strange to me).

I you don't believe me, watch "New Spaces" on HGTV or any real-estate/home improvement show with Chicago area coverage. Pay close attention. You will notice that all residential receptacles are mounted horizontally AND, they still require EMT conduit as the minimum wiring method. NO Romex allowed at all, anywhere.

Anyway, this city/area has ridiculously strong union holds and insane code requirements. One would think that if there was any validity to the legends about grounding hole placement, these guys would be breaking the rules in both directions.

The code (NEC) is the prevailing authority in most jurisdictions, with potential local ammendments. True, Rusty, there may be some local ammendment but I would be willing to bet that it could be challenged. All of this "it could fall across the prongs" stuff is why they now require arc fault breakers for circuits in bedroom areas. There's only so much in the way of safety measures that can be enforced; most of this stuff is simple common sense.
Posted By: WRichey Re: telephone jack standard for commercial - 12/16/06 07:09 AM
I hate to intrude here guys but the original poster DID NOT ask an electrical question.

This topic has gone off course. The original poster has not had a response here since 12/6.

I think you guys are the best in the field of telecom and I learn something new all the time but please get it back on topic or I will have to lock it.

To help get back on topic. Neither is the standard however this is how it should be done.
[Linked Image from lanshack.com]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help