atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mezzaman Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 03/31/10 02:25 PM
Hi guys, I installed a Corporate Office 8.5 VM from a site that went out of buss.
to a FXII 17E 196. Everything works properly except the Serial link goes up and down constantly. Any thoughts?
Thanx Pat
Posted By: jwooten Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 03/31/10 03:20 PM
What serial port are you using on the CO?
Posted By: mezzaman Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 03/31/10 06:37 PM
I believe it's com 1.
Posted By: toogood Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/01/10 05:22 AM
Would you happen to be running Windows 2000?
Posted By: toogood Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/01/10 05:39 AM
Windows 2000 runs a timing service causing a conflict with serial integration between the Voice Mail system and the phone system.
Posted By: mezzaman Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/01/10 06:04 AM
This is a DOS version Corporate Office 8.5
Had this happen on a similar setup (MP5000 with 8.5 Corporate Office).

If the units are near each other, try getting them on the same power source, with the same ground. If possible, I found that use of a Ditek surge protector (with ground lug) may have also helped, as it allowed my cabinet ground to be the same as the electrical ground of the system and the voicemail. Also, make sure the metal PC box is isolated from any other grounding surface (such as a metal shelf, where the rubber feet don't separate the metal shelf from the metal box).

Surprisingly, after I addressed each of these issues, the problem seemed to clear up. That is if mempory serves me correctly.

Justin
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/02/10 11:46 AM
Justin is correct! If you don't have both units on the same side of the power panel not only will this happen but it is possible destroy the serial ports in both phones system and voicemail PC. If you can measure 220VAC from the hot side of the phone system to the hot side of the PC you need to get it resolved.
Posted By: mezzaman Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/06/10 05:01 PM
Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find.
Is the serial cable you use between the system and VM is too long? try using a shorter cable and if possible use shielded wires.
Posted By: mezzaman Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/16/10 05:36 PM
I think that did it! I plugged in the VM and phone system on the same circuit, and it popped right up.I will check back on Monday, thanks guys!
Pat
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/16/10 06:00 PM
Thanks for posting back what worked for you. :thumb:
Posted By: mezzaman Re: Corporate Office Serial link dropping - 04/21/10 06:59 PM
Up and working!
Pat
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help