atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: WRichey Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 07:51 AM
You guessed it my smallest child has applied her chewing gum the my LCD screen.

Can it be removed safely and how? (or do I just tan her hide) and buy a new one
Posted By: Herk Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 08:01 AM
Best bet is to try putting the unit in the refridgerator (or even freezer would be better) for a couple of hours, wait till the chewing gum is nice and hard and try GENTLY pulling it off. Watch because the plastic will be brittle at lower temps too though, but the gum won't be all stretcy and sticky at that point and should come off in one "lump". Just make sure you let screen sit at room temp for at least a couple of hours prior to powering it back up, as coming from fridge to mean temp is liable to let it condensate and that wouldn't be good on the electrical half of it.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 08:06 AM
That is what I was afraid of.

Oh and its not in a lump it's smeared mad

Thanks Herk

Keep them coming
Posted By: junkman Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 08:14 AM
Cooler temperatures will help keep it in one piece, just keep working on it. A plastic scraper will help, just don't press too hard.

There's several products made for removing sticky residue, try "Goo-Gone" and "Oops", they both work pretty good.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 10:20 AM
Since it's probably already ruined I would take a dab of Hershey's chocolate syrup on a soft cloth and gently dab it on the gum spot. Should'nt hurt the screen but it's what I've always used to clean up gum. :shrug:
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 10:26 AM
how about a freeze spray?
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 11:33 AM
Yep, I would use freeze it spray (technician's trouble shooting coolant).

You can also hold canned air (air duster) upside down and it will work like freeze spray.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 01:14 PM
If no chocolate try some peanut butter. Smooth of course!
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 05:52 PM
Peanut butter is the ticket. I use it to get gum out of my daughter's hair whenever she blows a bubble bigger than her head. Just work it into the butter.
Posted By: topher Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/22/06 11:11 PM
wrichey, get some 'goo gone' from walgreens or whereever, rub on gently with a soft cloth, keep rubbing, then when the gum is off, gently clean the screen with a dab of windex and a dry soft cloth.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/23/06 07:49 PM
OK Here are the results.

I used the peanut butter first and it worked great but it left very fine scratches. So I took RBF's advise and tried the chocolate to polish of the small scratches and BAM it worked like a champ.

Thanks Guys.

Now if I can only keep the gum away from the kid LOL
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/23/06 07:54 PM
:rofl: Think a Reeses would do the same trick :rofl: :toothy:
Posted By: WRichey Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/24/06 12:45 PM
I was laffing about the same thing last night :rofl:
Posted By: TelecomGod42 Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/24/06 12:51 PM
WD-40...Workes every time.....But not if it is in your hair... Works on tape residue on painted walls too...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Chewing Gum Removal - 07/24/06 02:14 PM
Originally posted by wrichey:
OK Here are the results.
Now if I can only keep the gum away from the kid LOL
Good luck Waine. My daughter's current business venture is gumball machines at local hair salons all over town. Problem is that there are about 8 cases of gumballs around here at anytime. BOY can that little girl go through some gum laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help