atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jexec Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 06:49 AM
Hello,

I can't ping to our eMagen box, but our voice mail is still working. I can't get to the web interface at all. Any suggestions?

Yesterday morning our voice mail went down and I just rebooted the box and it worked. In the afternoon, when I looked at reports, thats when I could not get to the web interface. I tried to ping as well with no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 08:56 AM
How was it orinally set-up. Is it on a Network or not? Did you uses a static Ip Address or DHCP in the Voice Mail.
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 10:58 AM
Originally posted by tony3866:
How was it orinally set-up. Is it on a Network or not? Did you uses a static Ip Address or DHCP in the Voice Mail.
Yes, it was setup with a static IP address. It was weird, yesterday afternoon I typed in the address, got the login screen and clicked on the reports link when it just stopped. That is when I tried to ping it to make sure it was still up and I just got timeout errors. Thats when I checked the VM, it is still up, no problem...just the web portion isn't working.

The network card has a link light, and the activity light blinks. I alos changed to a different port on the LAN switch and changed the network cable.
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 12:48 PM
jexec
Can you complete your profile please?
Posted By: md810 Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 12:50 PM
Hello,
First, let me just say that I am not a tech, and you probably have no business listening to anything I say. smile
I used to have a problem like that with mine. It came up temporarily while I had assigned the machine a public IP for troubleshooting. Seems to be a problem with the drivers Linux is using for the ethernet card. I was never able to conjure up a proper solution as the problem somehow went away once the machine was back on our side of the firewall. I was however able to get the web interface working again when it went down without rebooting the whole machine by doing the following:
Log on to the machine as root
Get into a shell
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

basically this reboots just the ethernet card. If your problem is the same as mine the web interface should start working again.... at least temporarily.

Hope this provides some clue
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SSPhone:
jexec
Can you complete your profile please?
OK, I completed it.
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 04:22 PM
Originally posted by md810:
Hello,
First, let me just say that I am not a tech, and you probably have no business listening to anything I say. smile
I used to have a problem like that with mine. It came up temporarily while I had assigned the machine a public IP for troubleshooting. Seems to be a problem with the drivers Linux is using for the ethernet card. I was never able to conjure up a proper solution as the problem somehow went away once the machine was back on our side of the firewall. I was however able to get the web interface working again when it went down without rebooting the whole machine by doing the following:
Log on to the machine as root
Get into a shell
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

basically this reboots just the ethernet card. If your problem is the same as mine the web interface should start working again.... at least temporarily.

Hope this provides some clue
hmmm...this is interesting and I'll give it a try when I get back to the office. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 05:04 PM
Thanks
Just like to know who we are sharing info with. And Thanks to MD810. Linux learning curve for me not complete guess I played with DOS just to long. smile
J I was going to suggest attaching a monitor and keyboard and trying to shut the system down for reboot.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/07/05 05:11 PM
MD810 is right on the money when you go into the shell you are telling the card to clear it's memory and come back, you can also check ifconfig and it will tell what it is. Think of it as if you where going into your Network Connections on your PC and repairing it.
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/10/05 09:02 AM
What MD810 said could be true but what I would do is get a crossover cable and try connecting directly with a laptop. I feel it's a problem with your cabling!
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/13/05 09:33 AM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help. I finanlly was able to get the root login info and tried what md810 said and it worked perfectly!

Thanks again for your help!
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/14/05 06:29 AM
Spoke too soon... smile

Doing the steps listed rebooted the card and I was able to get in for a little while, but the same thing is now happening. When it restarts, this is the message that appears:

Pool TCP Connector: Starting AJP12 ConnectionHandler on 8007.

Hopefully there is a way around this so that we can backup our config and get a new box...hopefully! smile
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/14/05 07:15 PM
What happen if you get the card reactive and do the shutdown with Telnet? And restart
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/17/05 07:55 AM
SSPhone,

We didn't try that yet. Since the Voice Mail was stopping during the day, the vendor is going to come today to backup the configuration, replace the network card and try again. He said thats what Telrad is suggesting, so we'll see.

I'll let you all know of the outcome.

Thanks!
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 10/20/05 07:54 AM
Hello,

Just to let you all know, we had the network card replaced and everything is working great.

Thanks for your advice & Help!
Posted By: jexec Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 01/13/06 11:26 AM
Believe it or not, this happened AGAIN!!! They are ordering a new network card again. I don't know what the heck is going on...too weird for sure! frown
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Can't ping to eMagen box - 01/15/06 05:58 AM
Make sure your not pluged into a Power over land Router.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help