Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

Im wondering what features i can get for my Merlin 410 PBX when a Feature Pack 1 is added.

thanks ahead of time.

Kristopher
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

5 party conference call
On hook dialing
Call transfer
Hold reminder
Group listening
Can prevent outgoing calls on specific phones
Privacy
Automatic outside and intercom dialing
Last number redial
Automatic line selection
Do not Disturb
Ringing options

So, you found yourself a Merlin??

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
yep. its a 410 PBX with 8 10 button HFAI/Mic phones. with FP1. ~have to buy the phones seperatly tho. wish i could find 'em cheaper. its ummmm. $35 for the 8 phones and $35 for the system. guess i cant complain too much.

[This message has been edited by topher (edited July 08, 2005).]

Kristopher
No, not at all. Sure, you're not getting the latest and greatest. But for a circa 1984 system, it's nice.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
well i still see them in use, so they have to be good, but it looks nice. So... how are these systems connected to A/C power? is it by a computer power cord? (3 prong grounded) it doesnt come with the power cord.

Kristopher
Yup, just a three pronged computer cord. I did forget to mention one thing, that I should have. You do realize that the "voice terminals" do not connect to the KSU with standard plugs, right? Merlins use 8 pin "RJ45" cords, in a 568B wiring scheme. So, in theory, you could use network patch cables (straight-thru, not crossover). Or, you could go the cheaper route, buy some un-crimped cable, 8 pin plugs, borrow a crimper, and make your own cables.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
oh, no i didnt notice that. the picture looks like a RJ-11 tho. im not sure how to post a picture on this post but... here is the picture on this site: https://merlinsystem.bravehost.com/ ***look at the bottom too. LOL.***

Kristopher
The jacks 1-19 are your stations and u can use the cables mentioned above.

the a-b-c-d are your co lines and are rj11
and use the 4 pin plugs .

You can run it on your bench with 568 jumpers
sta to contol unit and plug in a phone line to a or b ,etc.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
ok well kenb i understand that 10-19 are my stations and that abcd are the lines... and im guessing the phones have rj-11 connectors to go to the control unit. i guess now i want to know this: i have rj-45 cables, and i have rj-11 cables, is there some kind of mid-line coupler or such that will convert the rj designation? or do i have to go with either the patch panel or buying my own cable and crimping it? i am trying to go as cheap as possible here.

Kristopher
No the merlin phones have female 568 if you will so
if you take a 568 premade jumper cable
and plug one end in control unit and one
in set it will work
Again rj11 into a-b-c-d for lines

merlins use 8 wires

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
well to tell you the truth, i dont really want to go thru all the trouble of finding the right cords and such so...can someone recommend a system with all standard telephone jacks, no amphenols or anything??? i basically want:
party conference call
On hook dialing
Call transfer
Hold reminder
Privacy
Paging thru phones
Last number redial
Automatic line selection
Do not Disturb
Ringing options
Hold

thanks

Kristopher
yes
reread codasco 704 note above

Yeah, just use network cables (they'd actually be nicer than phone cables since they're CAT5 instead of CAT3). Or, make your own...it would be helpful to borrow a crimper though, since they are expensive just to use for one project.

Also, if you wind up with a system with amp connectors, there are break out boxes/adaptors you can use instead of punchdown blocks (although punch down blocks and impact tools aren't taht bad oncce you get the hang of it.....if you need a punchdown tool I;ve got one you can have)

If you decide you actually don't want the Merlin, I will gladly trade you my Vodavi Starplus system (12 lines, 24 extensions) with 3 keysets and a 2 station single line adaptor) for the Merlin. (I got one, but it has no sets. and it's only a 206, not a 410)

[This message has been edited by codasco704 (edited July 08, 2005).]

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
alright, im going to check with alocal supplier about the cabling and stuff. if i dont find anything ill send you the merlin. i have found a Norstar 6*16 too, but im just wondering what connectors it uses?

Kristopher
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
I use a 410 to keep my PC up off the floor [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
LMAO ...ok.. well im still wondering what connectors the norstar 6*16 uses

Kristopher
Some people laught at the old Merlins, but honestly, for home, simple/old is OK for me....of course part of my problem is the desire to try all kinds of different systems. I've had an Executech, Norstar, Pana DBS, Partner, and Starplus in my home, just since about 2000. I've come to realize that some of them (esp. the DBS(96 ports, for a house!) and the Partner (hunt groups, voicemail) were overkill. Even the Vodavi does more than I need. They were all nice, but I really don't need anything more than a Merlin. I have a 206, but could use a little more capacity.

The "compact", non ICS norstars (the 308 and 616) both use modular connections for co lines, and an amp connector for sets, MOH, loudspeaker, and aux. ringing. I really liked my Norstar system, and it's the closest system in reliability and toughness (well, the sets at least, the KSU is poorly made in my opinion) to Merlin. Make sure you're getting one with DR5 software, and if you sare ever going to consider voicemail, get a KSU with disconnect supervision.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
whats the difference between DR5 and any other? the guy says that he doesnt know how to tell the software version but it was manufactured in '91. im not sure if just that unit and some norstar phones will let me do all the things i want it too will it? its a 616 PBX the only features listed is paging and transfer but says it supports all phones... does this mean that i can page thru the speakerphones on all the phones, hold, exlusive hold, xfer, hold reminder????? thanks a bunch.

Kristopher
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
by the way its a refurb......where do i get a break out box/adapter cheap?

[This message has been edited by topher (edited July 09, 2005).]

Kristopher
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Pay attention to what codasco says---DR5 is the safest way to go. DS KSU is best if you ever want a VM. DR 1, I think, was only a 308. Don't be foolish.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
well the guy doesnt know the software version so how the heck am i supposed to know? im not trying to be foolish it is listed on ebay and it barely says a thing...

Kristopher
I don't remember the exact wording, but if you open the cabinet up there is a removeable cartridge should should say the sw version somewhere on it. If it's really cheap, it's probably an older system..DR 2 or 3 maybe. If, on the off chance it is it is DR1 (which it sounds like the 616 wasn't made in DR1), stay away. DR1 doesn't do much...I seem to remember that it doesn't even do quite as much as an FP1 Merlin did (if you do get a Merlin, do yourself a favor and buy FP2)

You might acutally have trouble finding an adaptor. I've looked and looked, and the only harmonica adaptors/breakout boxes I've found have two pair jacks, and Norstar only uses one pair per set.

[This message has been edited by codasco704 (edited July 09, 2005).]

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks a bunch codasco, i told him where to find it and am awaiting a reply. do the norstars short out if they have wiring with more than one pair? i was told by a frontier tech here that i should use 3-pair (6p6c) wiring just to make sure everything would run right.

Kristopher
Huh?!?! No, only one pair per set. One pair=one DN (extension). If you run more than one pair, you will physically be running more than one port to the set. The Frontier tech must have musunderstood. The only system that I know of that needs all three pairs is the InterTel ESP.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
ok so i need to get a reply from that guy and see if it is DR5 and i need to look for a break out box/ adapter that uses only one pair. by the way thanks A BUNCH for your great help.

Kristopher
When your looking for the adaptor, it might help to know that they're actually called harmoica adaptors. And if you can't find an adpator, don't let that turn you off to the system. Punching wires down on a 66 block is the "real:" way of doing it...unless you have a Merlin!

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
i found this.....i will have 3-4 phones on my system total.. the price doesnt thrill me but thought i would ask. https://www.phonegeeks.com/versablock.html

thanks

[This message has been edited by topher (edited July 09, 2005).]

Kristopher
Not exactly, but that will work....Ablecomm is very very expensive...and I haven't had the best of luck with them.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
yes, ablecom is expensive and i found a real harmonica adapter at https://www.l-com.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=2672&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=2672
i can get it with the amphenol in either male or female, and it is RJ-11.

[This message has been edited by topher (edited July 10, 2005).]

Kristopher
You'd want the male if plugging into an existing cable. The one you're pointing out would have 2 pairs for each jack.

Retired phone dude
Which would only sort of work. You'd have to make sure you use only one pair cabling to each set, and you'd loose half of the capacity of the system..AND, your extensions would skip (21, 23, 25, instead of 21, 22, 23). They can be renumbered, but it's sort of a pain for such a small system,

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
i wouldnt mind if they skipped. i will have everything speed dialed by key anyway..... the one that i pointed out (the harmonica) says RJ-11, if im not mistaken (but probably am) its a 6 position 2 conductor (1 pair).

i got a reply.. the cartridge on the system says as follows....

Cartridge is labeled as follows (NO DR#)

NT5B10CA
Warranty Expiration Aug 2001
Capacity 6 x 16

is this DR5?

[This message has been edited by topher (edited July 10, 2005).]

Kristopher
I forgot how to read the labels, but i THINK that it's a DR2 (that's what the 02 stands for). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think that harmonica adaptor is what you're looking for (it says its a 6x4, so 4, six conductor jacks). I'd say keep looking.

I found this: https://www.phonegeeks.com/noname1.htm
but it's $108! I also tried this: https://www.phonegeeks.com/25pairbreakb1.html one time (select 5, 1 pair jacks from the drop down menu), but they got things mixed up and I never wound up with a 1 pair adaptor, just a 2 pair adaptor for 1A2 systems (not much help for the CO jack on my Starplus).

[This message has been edited by codasco704 (edited July 10, 2005).]

I searched the part number, and it's acutally a DR1 cartridge.

You can buy a DR5 cartridge, but if you're dealing over ebay, it might be cheaper to buy a KSU that comes with DR5. (A seperate cartridge will be, at the very least $100 from a chaper online source)

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks soooooo much. i will be back on the board on tuesday so i will keep looking because i dont want to get a DR1.

Kristopher
topher Offline OP
OP Offline
alright.... im back on the board. the 25-pair break out box on phonegeeks.com wouldnt be bad... i am still looking for a good norstar system that runs pretty cheap. i already have some phones picked out, they are M7310's. i am talking to a seller about getting DR5 software with one of his units..... (still waiting for a call.)

by the way thanks a lot!! especially codasco704!!!

Kristopher
No problem!

The M7310's are a good choice. The M7208's don't have enough buttons, and the M7324's have too many. The newer T models aren't as sturdy either.

If you had talked to me about 6 months ago I could have sold you a 3x8 DR%. Oh well. I just realized that it was really dumb for me to buy that merlin system. So now I'm going to have to sell the Vodavi....hopefully I'll make some money on it though, the Merlin was underpriced.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
Why dont you just hire so meone to put it in the right way. for the amount to buy one of those silly pre-made blocks a real phone man can give you close to an hour of labor.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
yeah it would've been good to have talked to ya 6 months ago... geez these nortel prices are wild... i found a meridian with some M7310's with it for about $100 but thought i would ask, how bout them meridians? are they any good? can i use norstar phones? i found one that looks like a box with jacks in the back no amphenol connectors at all but it looks like they are all RJ-45 connectors. i have no clue where to look for a software version, or if the meridians even have a different software cartridge. the system has a label on it that wasys wellfleet communications. im open for any comments...

Kristopher
Meridian and Norstar are completely different systems (though sometimes Norstar is referred to as Meridian Norstar). Meridian is a full blown PBX system, which will obviously cost you much much much more than a Norstar, not to mention far more complex. Only phones compatible with Norstar are the M7 and T7 model phones. M2 and others are only for Meridian PBX's.

topher Offline OP
OP Offline
alright.... thanks. that was what was confuzing me... everything said MERIDIAN/NORSTAR...

Kristopher
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,717 Shoretel
189,755 CTX100 install
187,919 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 127 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024