web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We're using a strategy IVP8R2 that comes with RS232 and dial-up ports for access. Is it possible to manage the IVP8R2 using RS232 over an Ethernet/LAN connection? The cabinet is located nearby, about 30-40 feet away. I could also run a direct cable to the cabinet if there's any way to connect directly to the IVP8R2 without using POTS line with dial-up modem

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Someone used to sell an RS232 to LAN adaptor that worked with Stratagy. You could try one, but sometimes the voicemail system is a bit touchy. I have had USB serial adaptors that gave me troubles connecting to the voicemail system.

As far as dialup, if you have an analog port on the CIX, then you could use dialup to the voicemail by dialing the voicemail extension. I have done that in a pinch when my serial cable didn't work, or it got left behind. It's pretty slow, but it will work.

Administrator
Administrator
That was me during the One Ring Telecom days. Even had them listed in my signature on here. But like all my other Toshiba stock I sent them all to the recycling company. Hadn't sold one in years.
All I'm doing these days is hosted solutions from Mix Networks

Admin
Admin
Back in the day, I used to use Moxa Nport 5110's on Panasonic serial ports.

I might have one around somewhere....

They are inexpensive in the secondary market, like you can get a pair for about $60

Carl

Originally Posted by SSPhone
That was me during the One Ring Telecom days. Even had them listed in my signature on here. But like all my other Toshiba stock I sent them all to the recycling company. Hadn't sold one in years.
All I'm doing these days is hosted solutions from Mix Networks

I remember clicking the link and checking them out, but never had a customer that really needed it. I think I may have mentioned it to a couple of people.
All our Toshiba stuff also went to e-waste. I took a coupe of BCOCIU cards and a couple of ASTU3A processors and a some MIPU cards. Figured someone might need it some day.

OP Offline
We are very happy with our Toshiba DK system and the cost savings it has provided over the past 20+ years.
Like many other small schools we have no immediate plans to update to a subscription based cloud system.

Currently I use a USB modem in a Windows VM to dial into the DK424 using an external phone number!
If I've understood Carl and Newtecky correctly, we might also have the option of dialing an internal extension (7, *, 993) instead?

I just want to eliminate the need for the external analog line we currently use to dial (one of our) external phone numbers into the VM.

Admin
Admin
Let me be clearer:
Back in the day, we used Moxa boards because there was nothing else. Do you own a USB to serial adapter? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+to+serial+adapter&ref=nb_sb_noss

About $5-15 from your favorite supplier. That and an old PC running Windows and Aeroadmin software 900100.net gets you remotely to the box that runs the terminal software to talk to the Strategy. I pay $125 or so a year for my copy of Aeroadmin, but it beats driving 100 miles or more to administer a system when the Raspberry Pi goes stupid.

Aeroadmin is actually "free" for short use. It can be configured to be running all the time and you access it from your local machine running the software. You put in your 9 digit code to connect remotely and provide the password to get in. At the remote PC, it's a setting to allow access.

Carl

OP Offline
Thank you for the clarification, Carl.
On a slightly different note, is there an expansion available for the DK424/DK424i that would add Ethernet port connectivity to the system?

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,559 Shoretel
189,433 CTX100 install
187,598 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024