web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
blentz Offline OP
OP Offline
It's not 60cycle - i delt with that crap when i played in a band and had to chase down ground loops and other annoying noise in the guitar amps.
Will try all that is suggested - we got 70inches of snow on the ground here where i live so i doubt i will be doing the trace walk until next June! smile

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
I'm guessing that the original loop doesn't like the extra 600-700 feet of cable tied to it. It gives you a chance for an extra antenna. Try connecting only the remote building to the line and listen for background noise. If it goes away, your solution might be a small phone system where you are feeding an extension to the remote building.

For fun, you could do some research on bridge lifters here

In the C.O. days, we used to use them on party lines. It was great for hanging 4 separate cables on the same line, or an answering service to the customer's main number. Bridge lifters are probably made of unobtainium, but somewhere I have a single unit that weighs a lot and does such a feature. It may show up in the next 2 months.

Carl

So, what happens when you kill the power to the outbuilding? I can tell you from experience AC power induction isn't always a 60hz hum, I've heard buzzing, clicking and different harmonics on induction. It was a pretty big issue in the sandhills as you can't always get a good ground.

Retired phone dude
blentz Offline OP
OP Offline
i tried grounding the un-used pairs - no difference - just a low level buzz/hum that is audible on both ends of the conversation. I will try killing the power in the out building next.

What would a guy recommend for getting phone signal to out building 600ft away?

Did you also ground the shield?

Retired phone dude
What would a guy recommend for getting phone signal to out building 600ft away?

Let's find out what the problem is first. POTS travels for miles on twisted pairs without problems. I assume you are connected directly to the POTS terminals of a cable modem or similar and not a copper POTS line from the phone company? My thinking is that the line is not properly balanced to which you are connected. Wouldn't surprise me with a cable modem.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 12/13/22 08:25 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That's a good point to mention, Hal. It is true that output ports on IADs, VoIP ATAs, EMTAs and other telephony toys are often used to emulate a real POTS line, but they often don't work.

I had an installation that called for the reuse of a pair in an existing 300 pair aerial cable to send a POTS line from an EMTA. This pair had carried a digital station on a Nortel system to a regular jack. It didn't take long to determine that Spectrum Cable's Arris EMTA lacked the horsepower to push clean dial tone that far. We obtained Viking Electronics' TBB-1B, which is a great per-line device that was developed specifically for these situations. Of course, you will need one per line.

HERE IS THE LINK FOR IT.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
1 member likes this: dexman
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well done, Ed!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 13
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 106 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024