web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#643089 07/07/22 07:36 AM
OP Offline
Hello I am looking for recommendations for a new cable tester

I’m used to using the STM –8

It seems to have stopped working I do believe I dropped it one too many times

I didn’t really want to spend a lot of money on buying a new one I think they’re around 480.00 or so

I still have the remote testers

I was in a little bit of a pickle so I just bought one at Home Depot Klein tools it’s called the scout pro 3 cable tester

Wondering if anybody has used this particular model it’s OK but it only comes with one remote I don’t wanna invest too much more money in it if I was gonna be getting something else

I know it’s not a certifier and I was just curious if anybody could recommend something

I’m curious if anybody still uses the STM – 8

Thanks

JD

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

JD,

I think if you can run a search on this site, there are several posts on this topic. But, may be older and some newer test equipment may be available. We have a couple of the Byte Brother tools that the guys are real happy with from what they tell me. Not sure, but seems they were over $300 at the time.

Hope this helps.
Rick

BTS
Admin
Admin
I think the Ideal Linkmaster is affordable and compatible with the numbered dongles. It's in the $100 range, but you can search Ebay for a sub-$100 replacement STM-8. That should get you through the short term.

Carl

I've used the STM8 for many years, after recommendations from others on this board. Found one on ebay. I also dropped mine once too often and found a replacement on ebay. When I break this one, I'm done.

Jim

I currently use a Fluke IntelliTone Pro 200 digital toner for tracing data cables on live networks but it bleeds bad. I use a Fluke 620 for testing cables. I recently purchased a Noyafa NF-8209 for 55.00 just to try. Been a phone tech for 43 years, spent a ton of money on Fluke products and this little device helps more than the Fluke. It tones digitally, analog & POE with no bleed, maps pairs, does length, measures POE voltage and here is the best part it will flash the connected port on a live switch and tell you the speed of the port. My co worker purchased the NF-858C which also tests fiber. I don't know about long term but for the amount of time I have had the tester it has already bailed me out on cables that are not marked. Hope that helps...

Admin
Admin
Interesting find @erniejoey! Trying to tone a cable that's plugged into a switch port is the bane of my existence...

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
1 member likes this: dexman
I like the sounds of that Noyafa!

@Toner, I put my oscillator clips on the wht/blu and brn/wht (gender bender with breakout pairs on my end). Test for a short first--usually none--and tone away.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
1 member likes this: Toner

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,763
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,284 Shoretel
188,167 CTX100 install
187,014 1a2 system
Newest Members
gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial, BPopilek
49,762 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mercenary Roadie), 85 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024