web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#643100 07/08/22 06:17 AM
OP Offline
Trying to put together a 4a speakerphone setup for my 2565 phone set, but am missing the critical 82-type connection block.

I think I have all the other components; for the speaker, a Precision Components 108B, a 680 transmitter, and an 85B1 wall wart.

I take it these 82a/b/c connection blocks are rare beasts.

So a few questions:

• Are these 82-type blocks available at phone shows?
  • If these are truly rare items, I could probably make an 82b circuit board.. might this be useful to others?

I looked over the 82b schematic in BSP 512-700-100 (4a speakerphone), and spent a few days laying out a small circuit board that might do the same thing:

[Linked Image from seriss.com]

In this board, I'm using a set of jumpers to replace the rotatable amphenol "option block", as that'd be hard to make. And there's some extra slots needed in the male amphenol to accept the unusual slotted split-female amphenols on the speakerphone devices.

Last edited by Greg Ercolano; 07/08/22 06:20 AM.
1 member likes this: nonameyet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Regarding the phone shows, I can probably make the San Jose show coming up in November. My research seems to show these 82-type blocks don't show up very often on ebay.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I haven't seen one in......forever.They were never very common - even when they were around.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, Sam.

It's interesting, since all the other equipment seems to be attainable; the 108 speakerphone and 680 transmitter equipment seems fairly available, both at the last phone show and on ebay.

Just not the connection blocks.

I'm having some boards printed based on the 82b schematic in the 512-700-100 BSP (screenshot with some extra info added below). I'm hoping that design will work out, so I can set up my speakerphone equipment to a 2565.

Hi- Another option is to look for/make the cable that connects directly to terminals inside the phone. The Adapter you're looking at only works for 6 button 565HK sets; You have to use the cable shown in the pic for 10 button, Call director or single line sets. Most of those BSPs have wiring diagrams to wire in the cable. The Transmitter, power and speaker all plug into the amphenol cable.

Attached Images
A.jpg
OP Offline
jb-alert: Yes, I've seen reference to wiring into the phone directly with a separate cable, and I may try to go that route if I have to. Hoping to avoid that, preferring the 'plug and go' approach.

Today I received the custom boards from the printer, and soldered it up, and hooked up the speaker, transmitter, 18VAC power supply:

For testing I used a 565 (no letter suffixes) to see what would happen. It's a phone I purchased for $5 at a recent phone show, needed a bit of work as I recall.

Seemed to work pretty well for a first time test.. well, in all the important aspects anyway:

• With the phone on-hook, when I hit "ON" I get a really nice sounding dial tone through the speaker
  • The selected line (Line #1) lights up while on hook
  • With a test call, I can hear voice via the "transmitter", confirming 2 way conversation
  • If I put the transmitter near the speaker, I get cool spaceman feedback (as expected)

What doesn't work, and I guess is something I have to trace out, is releasing the ON button hangs up again. So I have to hold down "ON" for the system to work.

I believe hitting ON is supposed to toggle a locking relay, and that one aspect is basically not happening. Not sure if it's a loose plug, wiring fault in my 82b block (hope not!), or something wrong with either the phone's internal wiring of the violet pairs, or a fault in my 108b speaker equipment. (I don't really have a way to verify if the equipment itself is at fault.)

Anyway, not bad for a first test; I was expecting less, lol. I'll see if I can figure out why the "ON" button isn't locking on. Here's a pic of the whole initial test setup:

I found a 149A and a 283-5 in my collection, don't think I have ever seen an 82

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
Got it sorted out; problem was this "Precision Components" 108B speakerphone I used for testing is electrically quite different from a WECO 108A. Apparently it doesn't have the same relay locking circuit the WECO units have, and would turn off when releasing the ON button.

When I swapped out the PC 108B for a regular WECO 108A (just acquired recently from ebay), it all worked fine.

So this is great, seems this custom 82b connection block board is working OK.

I don't have schematics and practice for configuring the PC 108B, but tracing out the circuit a bit, found the relay coil circuit is very unlike the WECO schematics. And from old photo's I've seen from past ebay sales, these came with a connection block similar to the 82b, but must have slightly different wiring to manage locking the relay coil.

OP Offline
Here's a little demo video using this 82b board with a 2565, WE 108A speaker, WE 680 transmitter, and an 85B1 power supply. If anyone needs one, feel free to contact me, as I expect I'll have enough spare parts to make a half dozen or so..

1 member likes this: nonameyet

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, hitechcomm), 142 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024