web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#637931 08/16/20 04:18 PM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Finally after years of not having cable TV, I moved the Motorola cable modem from behind the TV to the other side of the room next to the Linksys router. Now they're on the same power source/strip. I've always left my network on at all times. My phone is VoIP with an ATA, so it needs to stay on. If offline for whatever reason I have it set to ring my cellphone. Usually when leaving for work I put the phone system in Do Not Disturb which sends calls to voicemail. I then wondered if when not home during the workday (if that 'normal' workday ever returns) would there be any significant savings on the electricity bill by turning it off. Probably not - it would be the cable modem. router, and the phone ATA which is in a different room.

I recall years ago there were concerns when an old Rolm PBX lost power. It ran fine for years, the concern was when the power was restored. Sure enough, the power supply in one of the cabinets failed when power was restored. Of course it's apples - oranges really, these things weighed about 75 lbs and were probably about 15 years old at the time.

The electricity supplier in my area raised rates big time - so much that there was an investigation and the utility was told to go back to the previous rates for now. But that may be a temporary reprieve. I have switches on the TVs (not used often) to totally disconnect them from AC power when not in use. That's minimal savings, but it's a routine I'm used to. Daily powering off/on of devices may do more harm than good, I know these are made to be on 24/7, so I'm thinking it may be better to leave everything on. I wanted to see what others do.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

that should give you an idea about how much money you can save. No cell phone chargers that don't have cell phone on them don't draw power.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
That's a decent meter for the price. My son who's an electrician may have something like that. I'm thinking the power consumption will be minimal.

Admin
Admin
I leave everything on 24/7 but our electricity rates are low compared to most of the country. Circuit boards and components like to stay warm heating and cooling everyday will shorten the life.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Originally Posted by Keyset6
That's a decent meter for the price. My son who's an electrician may have something like that. I'm thinking the power consumption will be minimal.

You could get 2 and see how much one draws.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, hitechcomm), 142 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024