web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#631181 07/16/19 05:26 PM
Yoda Offline OP
OP Offline
I usually use multimode fiber, for the short, small jobs I do involving fiber. OM3 I believe. I get a media convertor with matching connectors and we're good to go.

The IT guy is getting involved in my latest fiber project and he has shown me some fiber modules for his switches, and asked which one to use. I asked my fiber supplier, and they aren't committing either way. They say it's up to what they are going to connect. Here's the info:

SFP transceiver 1000Base-SX - LC multi-mode (up to 1640 feet).
SFP transceiver 1000Base-LX - LC single-mode (up to 6.2 miles).

IT guy says the single-mode is only $20 more, so why not get 6.2 miles worth for the extra $20. (I don't think that's the way to spec out fiber smile ).
My fiber supplier says it depends on what they are going to connect. Just LAN computers, IP phones, general stuff.
There will be three runs, the longest single fiber run will be <500 feet. All in new surface conduit inside the plant.

How do you choose?
Thank you.

Jim

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

C5Z Offline
All of my fiber installs are less than 1500'. we always use mulit-mode OM2 or OM3 grade fiber. I don't think my eyes could handle 9 micron single mode terminations.

Instructions are just one man's opinion on paper
Originally Posted by Yoda
SFP transceiver 1000Base-SX - LC multi-mode (up to 1640 feet).
SFP transceiver 1000Base-LX - LC single-mode (up to 6.2 miles).

IT guy says the single-mode is only $20 more, so why not get 6.2 miles worth for the extra $20. (I don't think that's the way to spec out fiber smile ).

Why? Because you can overload the receiver causing issues and potentially lower its life. No different than anything else.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
OM2, OM3 or OM4 should be fine. with OM3 and 4 you are getting 10gig speeds.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Jim you don't state the length that you need to run or the equipment it's connected to.

When in doubt leave the decision making to the professional, not the IT guru.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
For that distance, an OM3, OM4 or SM will work. If this is an existing site (or campus) that you're adding on to, I would go matches the current infrastructure the most. If you have 90% multimode, then use multimode. If you have mostly singlemode than go with that. That will allow you to stock one component for backup verses two, etc...

My opinion is to use single mode. As time goes on and bandwidth requirements increase (10 gig/40 gig/etc) multimode begins to show its constraints.
They make low powered SFP's that would work here or you could simply put an attenuator on it if you were worried about the signal being too hot.

Yoda Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the input. The IT guy and me have agreed on single mode. There isn't any other fiber in this facility, so this will set the standard for this site.

Thanks again.
Jim

Single mode is nice because you can get Bi-Directional SFPs and make better use of fiber strands. One strand, bi-di. Leaving a 2nd strand for backup or future use. Single mode bi-di SFPs are silly cheap too. FS.com has them and I've used them. Works fine in Cisco after you run the non-OEM command. You'll still get the readout on light levels.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 159 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024