web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#630211 06/02/19 01:53 AM
OP Offline
We have a lot of phones form various customers on a VoIP service. When we set them up we used manual configured the Provisioning server to an FTP location.

We need to move all the phones to a new service with uses a different provisioning server using HTTPS. For a few smaller sites this basically required manually updating the provisioning server in the phone and rebooting. This is a bit time consuming. Als, the current configuration of the phones have the WEB interface disabled, so I have to touch each phone.

We don't have access to Polycom Zero Touch Provisioning server, but even if we did we would probably have to default every phone

It looks like I may be able to use DHCP option 66 or 160 to push out the Provisioning server info. I tried using option 66 this briefly but couldn't get it to work (limited time frame to do any much testing). The test phones was setup for Custom + option 66, but it is possible that some phones may be set to Static.

Has anyone been able to use either option 66 or 160 to change the provisioning server information?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If the phones are still set to use an ftp server for provisioning then why not put a new config file there for them to grab that has the new provisioning server location?

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Daniel #630274 06/05/19 09:06 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. The config files are on an FTP with our current service provider that we resell . We want to switch the phones to a new carrier host and I don't think our current service provider will give use write privileges on their FTP site (although I haven't tried yet).

I did find out that DHCP option 160 worked well as a test using a factory defaulted VVX series phone. Next test will be to try this with phone that is already provisioned.

It is possible that your existing provider has shut that down. You may not be able to reuse those phones at all.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
OP Offline
I was able to re-provision phones manually, and I was also able to option 160 , only if the phones are set to Custom + option 66 . If the phones are set to static then it seems to ignore the DHCP option.

This seems to work on a small scale . I just have to try it out on 60 + phones all at one time. It looks like as long as the phone is not set to Static instead of Custom + Option 66 that it wake the option 160 from DHCP after a reboot.

I could have done the testing first, but I was just curious if anyone else has done this before. Using DHCP should be easier then trying to modify the cfg files.

I don't think that these phones are locked to the old service. I was able to change several phones to the new provisioning server without any problem. If they were locked then we could ask them to remove the phones from the redirect servers, since they aren't leased. The admin password on all the phones are default, but their configuration file disables the phone's web GUI, which is unfortunate.

Moderated by  hitechcomm 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 85 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024