web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#629968 05/22/19 09:53 AM
OP Offline
I have a customer with an NEC SV9100 (School) That get hit with Lightning 1 to 2 times a year which blows out (2) of the 16 port digital station cards that are connected to another building
The phone system was installed in 2015 (Spring)

They didn't start having problems until summer of 2017 (They got hit once knocked out (2) Station cards going to another building they also had some other computer devises get damaged

Then again in summer of 2018 (2) Times

Then yesterday in 2019

Keeps blowing out the same 2 cards (which causes the whole system to be flaky until you pull the cards out

There is Lightning protection on this 100 Pair cable which is grounded my question is how can I tell what kind of lightning protection is installed I am thinking its not for digital phones

I am assuming that its for analog its been installed for a while

it just says Lucent Technologies on the cover

looking for some suggestions

Thanks

JD

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I would put some extra lightning protection like ITW-linx UPB-75 or 35 on them before the phone system. Give ITW linx a call they can help you out! I've been using them as secondary protection for a while now.

Last edited by oobie; 05/22/19 10:57 AM.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Carbon Protection is the cheapest and S H O U L D work on Analog Phones. For Digital sets or PBX cards you should use Gas protectors or one of the newer types (Thyristor, maybe? - I don't remember, having never worked on them).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
5 pin gas tube or solid state protectors of the proper voltage, I believe 50 volts but you will have to check your system.

Also, I know you said the present protectors are grounded. That could mean anything but without actually seeing how it was done and what you have available I can't comment.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
For protecting 100 pair cable you should be using a 6g solid copper or equivalent conductor going to a ground rod that's also bonded to your building ground. You should be able to test < 25 ohms to earth with a megger at the connection. If it's not that good, then your protectors might not function.

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 71 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024