web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hey guy's. I am an old school phone guy who is desperately trying to catch up to speed with networking technology and am struggling a bit with a certain process of networking. Here is what I am trying to do... I have a Spectrum cable modem with 1 usable public static ip address. I have a cheap Netgear router that I have assigned the usable address. My computers have full internet access using DHCP, so all is good there. Doing an ipconfig, I get this from my computer...IPv4 address...10.0.0.5, Subnet...255.255.255.0, Default Gateway... 10.0.0.1. Here is where I am having an issue. I have my telephone system's voip card set as static address 10.0.0.30. I have port forwarding on the required ports necessary to the .30 address. If I plug in the IP phone directly to my router and use the "connect to" address of 10.0.0.30) it connects fine. If I take my phone offsite (and change the phone's "connect to" address to the routers public static IP), it fails to connect. I realize there are many things that could be stopping it from working, but what would be my first step in resolviong this issue? Does Spectrum need to turn my Cable modem into bridge mode for this to work? Is the port forwarding not done correctly? Any help is appreciated!

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Not knowing the phone,, Do you need to get into the phone and point it to the Static Public IP address?

OP Offline
Hey oobie. It is a Vertical SBX with a IP7024 phone. If I have it on the same router and point it at 10.0.0.30, it works. If I have it on the same router or on a different network pointed at the public static (routers address), it does not work. However, I can connect to the LAN card of the SBX using admin by entering 10.0.0.31 or the public static.

There would be more ports that would need to be forwarded through for the phone to connect. Maybe post this up in the Vertical threads? I'm no SBX guys so I don't know what the ports are that would need to be forwarded

Oobie has it right. This is going to be better answered in the Vertical forum. I know of a couple of different port sets that need to be forwarded on different proprietary systems.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
I know less than all of you, but I always thought you had to have a VPN router. Carry the other router with you when you go offsite. But - what do I know. Not much in this area.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
NTlayoff. Yes that would work, but you have to setup a vpn router on the normal office side and do all of that there. If you can forward all of the correct ports to the phone system's inside static IP address then you don't have to do any vpn stuff. Up side = easier setup. Down side = more open to window breakers.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Stick the ip address of the SBX into the Routers DMZ, this opens ALL ports and should work when calls to the router are forwarded to the SBX. This is an old game server (COD, MOH) trick but it works.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
Thanks for the input everyone. I have the correct ports forwarded. I am sure of that. Derrick, I don't want to leave the card vulnerable to hacking and if I understand DMZ, wont that in fact be the case? Maybe not, I don't know? I know I can get it to work by simply giving it a public static IP address, but I only have have 1 public usable and need to use it for remote system admin and the VOIP card. That is why I wanted to use port forwarding. One thing that is throwing me off is that the manual says if you are using NAT, it has to be 1:1 NAT? I am still curious as to whether or not the carriers modem needs to be in bridge mode or not also? This seems to be more of a networking issue rather than a system issue, so that is why I posted it in this forum.Thanks in advance for more input!

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
If your netgear .router has a private ip (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x- 172.31.x.x) on the internet (WAN) port then you will need to do the port forwards.on the cable modem or put it into bridged node.

What ip do you get when you connect a pc (set to djcp) straight to the cable modem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,317 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
C5Z 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024