web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I used to have a real hard on about putting voice onto patch panels, but I've gotten over it. Being able to use any jack for voice or data certainly has its advantages. "Sorry, can't plug a plug a phone in there, that's a data jack" is a thing of the past.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Patch panels. It's 2014 my friend. smile

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Patch panels are pretty much all we use now.

I agree...patch panels are becoming more common and useful if the drop needs to be eventually used for data/IP phones. However, if you ever need to split apart pairs in the drop for different lines or devices, patch panels become a nightmare.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally Posted by ffej010
...However, if you ever need to split apart pairs in the drop for different lines or devices, patch panels become a nightmare.

a) That alone is why I don't use patch panels. Far too often I need to add a jack at an existing location for some other device.

b) Without a P/Panel, it looks a little more intimidating to the untrained to "play" with the wiring

c) P/Panel add to the cost of the job, limiting prospects on bids as clients are wanting "cheap", not "neat"

That being said, we're drifting off topic, so let's get back to Ed's post...

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I think that some responders are forgetting that this is a situation where we will be placing cross connects from a 100 pair building entrance terminal to voice station cables for single-line sets. To those of you who suggest using patch panels, may I ask how you would propose to complete the cross connecting process? Putting plugs on the ends of single-pair cross connect wire? I'm curious since I just don't see a professional way to cross connect to a patch panel.

I'm leaning toward going the 110 way, despite the fact that 100% of the rest of the facility has identical 66 type BETs.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

If you have the room for 66 blocks, that is what I would use. They have less parts to them and it's always a problem replacing a 110 wafer. If you do not have the room, then 110 blocks fit in tighter quarters. In your application patch panels are not an option unless they are thinking VoIP down the road. You should try to discuss their long term plans to make the proper decision.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
If all you're worried about is cross connects from the feeder cable to patch panels that hold the station cabling, you just need another patch panel with 25 pair punched down 1 pair per port with a block matching your entrance cable at the other end (be it 66 or 110 or bix or krone). Then of course you cross connect between the blocks and patch between the panels.

What Tommy said.
A customer of mine did the very same thing when replacing a Definity with an IP Office and keeping their digital sets. 25 pair cables run from the existing 66 blocks to a new rack with patch panels and the IP Office chassis.

Last edited by jeffmoss26; 04/04/14 10:26 AM.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
I must have missed something. We pick up extremely inexpensive 8-pin patch panels and cable 1 pair per port to a 110 block and cross connect them to our 66/110/BET pairs 1:1. Then pair 1 is PP1 or whatever we need. We then get to buy 1' 1.5' 2' or 3' patch cords to do the patching.

Cable management keeps it neat.

Carl

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,561 Shoretel
189,433 CTX100 install
187,598 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 104 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024