Rate Thread
#492043 05/07/07 07:39 AM
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
Here\'s the link to the story

AP Business News
Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls
John Murawski / Raleigh News & Observer Thursday, May 3, 2007

Phone bills are notorious for rankling customers with fees, taxes, tariffs and other mystery assessments.
Now some phone companies are adding a new line item to monthly bills: a charge for not making long-distance calls.
The category of customers affected by the new fee is the shrinking subset of people who have no-frills home-phone service and don't pay for a long-distance-calling plan.
Verizon last month introduced the $2 fee. It is charged to customers who could dial out for long distance, but don't subscribe to a long-distance service and don't make long-distance calls.
Durham, N.C., retiree Daniel Bius discovered the $2 charge on his April bill. He says he has no use for Verizon's long-distance calling plan because he makes long-distance calls on his cell phone.
"Even though I don't have a plan with them, they say I still have the ability to make a long-distance call if I ever need to, so I have to pay them $2 a month?" Bius said. "What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to pay them $2 for no reason?"
Telecommunications companies are increasingly profiting from bundled services that package wireless, Internet and even television services on one bill. Basic-phone customers are telecom's least-profitable sector, spending a minimal amount but demanding reliability.
Phone companies are beginning to charge basic-phone customers for long-distance access, even if they choose not to use the network. "This is not a unique practice to Verizon," said John Breyault, a research associate at the Telecommunications Research and Action Center in New York. "Most of them charge you some sort of fee nowadays. We're concerned because we don't think you should have to pay for something you're not using."
AT&T and Embarq, the other large local-phone companies for the region, don't charge North Carolina customers who don't make long-distance calls, the companies said.
The price of long-distance service is not regulated at the state or federal level, a policy intended to spur competition. Phone companies can charge customers a minimum fee for not using long-distance service.
"The bottom line is: They're trying to push people onto one of their long-distance plans," said John Garrison, an engineer with the Public Staff, North Carolina's consumer advocacy agency. "They get a monthly recurring charge from most of these plans. And if you don't use any long distance, that's profit in their pocket."
Regulators require phone companies to provide basic local-phone service. The phone companies have to give customers a way out of the new monthly fee _ but they will charge another fee to eliminate the first fee. For instance, if Bius pays a $6.75 charge to have his long-distance access disconnected, Verizon will end the monthly $2 fee, but block his outgoing long-distance calls.
Customers such as Bius who don't have long-distance calling plans can make long-distance calls, but they pay the highest rates. This is the way long-distance service worked decades ago, before telecommunications companies began to sell packages with monthly minutes.
Verizon charges up to 50 cents a minute for customers without a long-distance calling plan.
The $2 monthly fee is pro-rated. If customers rack up long-distance charges exceeding the monthly fee, the fee is dropped. If their long-distance bill for the month is less than the fee, they pay only the difference. Either way, Verizon customers will pay $2 a month, guaranteeing revenue for the telecom giant whether customers make long-distance calls or not.
Verizon officials say the monthly charge is no different than paying a monthly bill for a home-phone connection and not making phone calls. But consumer advocates disagree.
"It's infuriating because they take advantage of grandmothers," said Bob Williams, a spokesman for Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports magazine. "It's really cynical, but they count on that."
Verizon spokesman Jim Smith defended the decision to charge customers the $2 fee. "Because what they're helping to do is supporting the network they would use if their cousin Tillie is critically ill in California and they need to arrange a critical-care nurse," he said.
Bius hasn't decided whether he will pay $6.75 to have his long-distance access blocked. His other option is to switch to another local-phone service provider, but there's no guarantee that company won't charge him for not making long-distance calls.

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#492044 05/13/07 02:56 PM
This is not new. Back at the time the bell system was broken up I was paying 2 dollars for the right to make long distance calls. At the same time I was paying 3 dollars to have all of my long distance calls blocked. That was a total of 5 dollars.

#492045 05/14/07 02:39 AM
Up hear they call it a "long distance network access fee". Bell Canada charges $3.95 a month for access to the long distance network and it's buried in to the line charges. Once a year I receive a break down of my monthly costs, caller ID, voice mail etc. and there is the long distance network fee.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
#492046 05/14/07 02:41 AM
Administrator
Administrator
I found that charge on the Home phone line this month. I made the same call to Verizon. Guess I am lucky they waved the 6.75 fee. But only after I had them pull the records for the past 4 years. To show we didnt use the line for LD and I had opted out of Verison LD when we got the line.

#492047 05/14/07 06:20 AM
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
I cancelled our long distance all together at home and we pay no long distance fee. We use our cell phones or calling cards. I itemize 32 phone bills per month at work and it's amazing what kind of add-on fees there are and how they add up.

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 116 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024