Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Zacdl Offline OP
OP Offline
We run a Tadiran VoIP system. I understand how a VoIP system works that uses Cat5 cables- each phone basically has a NIC in it- and uses the server, etc.

But I am failing to understand how this VoIP network of ours works. It has about 20 phones in the main office (up to 5 in each terminal office across the US)... and has a VoIP connection.

The phones all are plugged in using regular old telephone wiring (Cat3). I guess they use some sort of device to plug our building's telephone line into the internet somewhere. This is what I want to know more about- how is it done, and how does it work?

Basically $40K was spent on this crappy phone system that has problems several days a week. Ports need to be reset every day, voicemail won't work, when you fax something- a phone will ring, etc. The phone jokers here just have no idea what they are doing- and why I need to start taking this stuff over.

The phones aren't fancy. No backlight- just basic LCD (not like the fancy color touchscreen Cisco phones). Just a Cat3 plug is all that is powering it- no external power.

Those would not be voice over ip phones, those would be standard digital phone. The system itself interfaces into you network via a card in the system cabinet.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
KLD Offline
Welcome aboard, Zacdl. As far as "fancy color touchscreen Cisco phones" ----in the vernacular ---- ain't no such thing. Cisco and phone in the same sentence just does not compute. Cisco stands for "Can I Still Call Out?" They are computer terminals you talk on and have the same inherent problems of any computer....massive downtime, high cost licenses, constant upgrades, and QOS issues. But in the computer world that is standard and you are used to it. Not so in the phone world. 99.999 up-time is standard. And on Cat Nothing wiring.

Now, as far as "the phone jokers" go, have you gone back to the installer and held their feet to the fire? As you are unable to identify the type and model without assistance, I would say you are computer-centric. That will assist you on the network portion of the telephone system, the minor side. The TDM side works just like your server does with hardware, a skeleton software, and a programmable software to make the system flexible. But the software is restricted to the hardware (read "real world")that is required to interface with the rest of the "real world".

The $40K spent on this "crappy system" would buy how many seats on a Cisco? Every problem (except the network) you have stated can be taken care of with a qualified technician. Who is resetting the ports each day? What are your expectations of service for the VM? Why wouldn't the fax machine ring when called? Or is it an internal fax server? See, the more input the more answers or questions.

If you cannot deal with the installer, check the "Installer" tab above and find another in your area. Or, "Google" your manufacturer and contact them about factory support/training.

Good luck from a 40+-year phone joker laugh .

Ken
---------
Zacdl Offline OP
OP Offline
FlexSet 280D is the model of phones we are using.

I agree 100%. I could handle the Cisco phones, because as you say: it is so much more computer-like.

Phones SHOULD be up 99% of the time. These are not, however.

I have held their feet to the fire many times. I've called corporate Tadiran, and they say it is a problem with the software (my thoughts- is if Tadiran doesn't seem to care- they are at fault!).

"The $40K spent on this "crappy system" would buy how many seats on a Cisco?"
No idea. A server to run it won't cost us much. I know phones are around $300, give or take. No idea on the software. But my problem here would the the massive crossover. What would you use to connect these internal phones to the outside world? I assume a service like Vonage or something similar?

"Every problem (except the network) you have stated can be taken care of with a qualified technician."
That is exactly what I think as well. I just think these JOKERS don't have a clue.

"Who is resetting the ports each day? What are your expectations of service for the VM? Why wouldn't the fax machine ring when called? Or is it an internal fax server??"
I have to reset the ports, as long as I can do that (sometimes I cannot even login to the TDM (or whatever wink ) to reset them, and end up calling them anyways!).
The whole system is screwy. If someone faxes something somewhere else (only to certain other locations)- a phone rings in someone else's office.

"If you cannot deal with the installer, check the "Installer" tab above and find another in your area. Or, "Google" your manufacturer and contact them about factory support/training."
I'm in the process of talking with Tadiran about learning more about the system, but I'll check the installer tab.

Thanks!

KLD Offline
ATTABOY, Zacdl. Keep after it. :thumb:

It seems you have done your due diligence. It also sounds like you are trying to program through the network interface option. Once you get set up with the proper training and / or support they should get you squared away.

Good luck, enjoy your stay here at Sundance, and don't be bashful about asking questions.

laugh

Ken
---------
Zacdl Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks...
Heard from Tadiran today. Seems like Tadiran has been looking into the issue as well and they think it has something to do with software.

Well, fine and peachy- but they still "don't know" what the problem is.

Where do you recommend I start reading up on systems like this?

Have you tried looking into another company with a certified tech? I have installed 100's of these systems and they are hardly "crap". Generally, I run into these nightmares from companies installing them not either being certified OR been around long enough in the PBX arena to understand what is going on. These are "big boy" systems and not for the common trunker that puts in key systems.

Reading will only take you so far and if you don't have a background in telephony you will be frankly lost. I would suggest you consider taking the basic I&M class at Tadiran so you can get hands on with the product. We are sending a customer there now because he will be responsible for a 3000 port system. Luckilly, you understand computers and it will make it easier for some parts like the IP stuff and voicemail.

Zacdl Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm afraid the closest techs would be over 100 miles away. Would Tadiran pay for them? Quite honestly- the company doesn't want to pay another dime for this system until it gets fixed.

I understand it isn't crap. What is crap is the crap they feed us. They tried to explain that it wasn't working today because it is on the "bleeding edge" of technology- so it's glitchy. I'm pretty sure it has been around for several years now.

An I&M class is what I'm looking for. I could at least familiarize myself with what is what, and kindof basically how it works by reading about it first- just was wondering if you had any information to suggest reading?

Do you have any info on the Tadiran classes? I can't seem to find anything on the web.

You have to go through your local dealer or a dealer (I think). You might have to call Tadiran on this is your local dealer is not helping you. They can get you signed up and they send a dvd/cd for you to watch and (I think) things you need to know for the class.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,708 Shoretel
189,747 CTX100 install
187,914 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024