Only if it is being used on a pay line.

This is a dumb board - rates are set by a switch on the board and it is being used on a home line. ID2s will normally work just fine on a POTS line just by connecting ring and tip. The coin relay does nothing, and coins are not needed, of course, and the relay must be tied so that any coins inserted will drop beyond the escrow rather than jamming it up. However, on some later 1D2s, if you don't set the rate switch to at least 25 cents, you will get no or severely reduced audio in the handset as discussed earlier in this thread. More than anything, I need docs for the 32c board manufactured by Elcotel for Western/AT&T. Unfortunately, it, too is 1995 technology, and I have been unable to find anything for it on the Web. The original 1D2 boards ere no problem to find docs for.

Earlier 1D2s require no changes to work on POTS, other than tying the relay.

This particular phone uses a Lucent 61M1PF keypad in conjunction with the 32C board. We have noticed there is a large square chip missing from the keypad, and without a spare to try as a replacement, are wondering if the fact the pad has the empty socket may explain why it has no audio or touch tones.

Alas, all the 1D2s I have myself are the older ones.

Dave

Last edited by DavePEI; 01/07/13 03:28 PM.

The Telephone on Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html