web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
On our ECS, our receptionist has a 12-KTD (with DSS-2) that rings on Extension 300, the main switchboard number. She wants a separate extension for her own "private" calls, while sitting at the receptionist's station. We have created Extension 310 for her in Class 10. What settings are required to have Extension 310 also ring at the 12-KTD that handles Extension 300?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Does extension 310 have an actual phone at the station? If so, you can use a call cover key immediate on ext. 300. Are you a programmer?

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
If you have created Ext 310 on a digital port, you must have a keyset physically connected to that port for that extension to work. With no actual phone connected, internal calls will show 'Invalid' on the display, and calls transferred from an auto attendant will keep looping back to the main menu. If a phone IS connected, then call coverage buttons will fill the bill for you. Alternatively, if you have spare analog, plain old telephone type ports, you can set that extension to always forward to ext 300 (Class 10, Item 73=All, Item 78=300) without the need for physcally connecting another phone.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Originally posted by rmclaren:
Our dealer installed the ECS software and provided basic instructions. So far, we have modified a few minor settings, with no plans to make major changes.
Have you lost your dealer support?

We can only give you help on simple problems that you can find answers to in the user documentation. The questions that you are, and have been asking, are beyond the scope of this forum. My advice is to work with your dealer, or if that relationship has fallen through, find another Iwatsu dealer.

The solution for some of your questions involves in depth system programming, way outside of what an end user possessing dealer only software should doing.

I thought you said that your system was down...
OP Offline
I appreciate your concern. However, we have a current dealer (who provided the software) and do not intend to change dealers. The relationship is reasonably lucrative for the dealer and relatively expensive for us. Our dealer supplied and configured the recent upgrade from Adix to ECS. Just last month, our dealer upgraded the capacity of the ECS and cabled six additional employee stations around the office. When we move in the next few months, our dealer will transfer the phone system and cable the new offices. And when we switch from copper to a T1, our dealer will be actively involved.

The tasks, for which we requested your help and which we have now completed, are merely housekeeping items from the last visit by the dealer:

· The removal of the internal access code on analog lines required only the deletion of the code in a couple of places.

· We had pretty much figured out the duplicate extensions. We were looking only for confirmation. The solution was to change one of the duplicate extensions to a new number.

· The latest advice allowed us to give our receptionist the private extension by changing the number on an unused extension and permanently forwarding the calls.

When we look at what was involved, the individual tasks were straightforward, easy to accomplish, and well within our competency. We believe that our relationship with the dealer has been enhanced by his allowing us access to the software. We are able to quickly take care of minor annoyances for phone users and leave the “heavy lifting” to the dealer.

OP Offline
Thank you for the advice. We connected an old MKT phone to an unused extension, changed the number to 310, and set the call forward to 300 without ringing 310. The result is a happier receptionist.

PM Sent

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Not trying to be out of line. But, if we feel comfortable enough to give the system programmer to a customer we expext (to a certain degree) to provide some sort of tech support to them. Sometimes we charge them for it. Sometimes we do not. At any rate we would want them to call us for any programming changes they might be having a problem with. This is the customer service we provide to them.

Either way, we would want them to call us. If you do have the relationship with your dealer that you mentioned, I am positive that they would be more than happy to give you the solutions that you are in need of.

On an Iwatsu product (like a lot of other products) there are about half a dozen different ways to accomplish a simple task. For instance the problem you solved with the MKT phone that is forwarded could have been solved another way. By programming the system with a variety of different "solutions" you start to make a mess out of the system. It works, but the next time your dealer comes in to do something he might look at the download and think "What is that there for, I didn't do it." Or worse yet he could undo something that you have done causing the system to not function the way you want it to.

I guess my point is we would love to help you on the user end questions, but when it comes to the programming changes you have been working on it is best to have the dealer in the loop so everyone is on the same page.

my 2 cents

Call us for Iwatsu in Chicago!!! www.wiilcom.com
We can only give you help on simple problems that you can find answers to in the user documentation.
Why is this so? This seems disturbing and limiting to the free exchange of information. It also seems like protectionism. If you dont want to help, just dont answer. If you are limited in your ability to reply due to contractual agreements with your supplier, then just dont reply. This statement coming from a moderator seems like it would put a damper on anyone who had the answer to give him from saying anything. Why would you do that? :shrug:

lershac,
Welcome, and please don't think of the scope of our discussions as "protectionism". We maintain this scope in the best interest of all whom may review these discussions, both now and in the future, to illeviate any possible issues whereby some users upon reviewing these discussions may attempt unqualified maintenance or administration on equipment that may accidentally result in their further increasing their initial problem. We offer sound opinions and advice, which depending on the level of the problem may include referring them to a locally qualified and licensed salesperson, technician or installer to provide them with immediate, direct, quality support. Moderators are here to assist and guide the discussions, and if necessary control the level of information being discussed, in order to support my above explanation.

To prevent further hijack of the ongoing discussion, please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that we need to further discuss the scope of this board's discussions.

Thank you,

Well said Mike.

There is an adequet explanation here https://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001370.html

Please take the time to read the rules of expected behavior. Over the last 6 or 7 years we have learned (sometimes the hard way) that keeping some technical information off the open forum is best.

lershac,

If you still have any questions after reading the two posts above, feel free to pm me.

Lershac, sometimes (especially with consultants) there is information that is dangerous in the hands of those that don't know the full domino effect of making changes to certain programming. Keeping that info is not protectionism it is just keeping you out of trouble.

You are invited to open up a thread possibly in general category for discussion if you would like to fully understand. As far as this thread is concerned let's stick to the original posters concerns.

John

rmclaren

I sent you a e-mail explaning the simplest way

hope this help and good luck

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JBean3329 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,742 Shoretel
189,816 CTX100 install
187,942 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 6
Who's Online Now
2 members (paulw, justbill), 129 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024